vii. The Handsome Prince

SEVEN THE HANDSOME PRINCE

A MONTH AND A HALF AGO.

His mother and father were the ideal couple. His mother, Belle, the most beautiful and clever woman to come from her small village, and his father, a handsome young prince turned into a beast that needed to be taught a lesson, had given birth to him―the prince. Ben would never say this aloud, but he never liked standing in their shadow, more specifically, his father's shadow. And he casts a pretty big one.

As the elected king and queen of their lovely and prosperous kingdom, naturally, Ben was next in line. Because his parents did a terrific job at joining all the good kingdoms into one, why wouldn't Ben succeed like they did? It's just that Ben was having second thoughts. Of course, he would. Being told (and expected) that you must run a kingdom as teenager barely reaching the finish line of high school could have anyone worried.

So, while in his training to become the next king, he decided to start small. Listen to the voices of people who have been overlooked and overshadowed for the past twenty years or so―the sidekicks. He gathered all he could about their problems and concerns and wanted to face it head on, emulate his father in this situation, and take charge for once.

And, naturally, it hadn't gone as planned.

The conference quickly got out of control and Ben struggled to gain everyone's attention again. The Council of Sidekicks were shouting, complaining, and nothing was going to be resolved by that. Ben, with rising frustration and anger, lost his temper, stood atop of the table, and yelled at the sidekicks who did not appreciate such behavior from someone of Ben's lineage. Even though that had been a total disaster―and lamely speaking to his girlfriend about the whole thing―he was able to apologize and smooth things out with Grumpy, one of the Seven Dwarves, and solve the problems and mistreatment the Council of Sidekicks were having for the last twenty years.

Things seemed to go fine after that―like things usually did in Auradon. That is until his peaceful dreams of the goodness of Auradon turned into nightmares. Like the peeling of old wallpaper, everything nice and good of his beloved home melted away, and in its place was the depressing environment of what he only assumed were the stomping grounds of the Isle of the Lost. It was a disastrous rock filled with villains and their sidekicks, and now their own descendants of evil.