9: See You Again

I sat in a quiet room behind a long wooden table. Fury sat across the other side. His intense gaze looking down at me. Clint shifted nervously behind him as the silence filled the room. My arms were crossed and my eyes were puffy and swollen from crying. Earlier that day when I woke up I explained everything. Fury gave me a few minutes to compose myself before coming in here.

"I warned you didn't I?" He said simply. I shook my head as I leaned back into the chair. "I told you that you weren't going to like how that story ended. But you still kept going back anyways and lied about it."

I stayed silent as I shifted my gaze down to the table. I felt guilty. It was supposed to be a mission. In and out. Nothing more. Instead all I could do was watch the man I loved die. Fury shifted and sat back in his seat. His eye not leaving me.

"Here's what you're going to do. Cap is ready to wake up here. You're going to go back. Obviously so torn with grief you will be discharged. You will say your goodbyes, and you will leave London. Thus ending your trips to a place you don't belong in. Am. I. Clear."

I looked up at him and nodded. "Yes, sir." I said quietly. Fury shook his head at me before getting up. He walked out the door. Slamming it behind him. I took a deep breath before burying my face in my hands. I could feel the tears coming back. I swallowed forcing them back down. Clint leaned against the wall behind him with his arms crossed. I could tell he wanted to say something but I didn't want to hear it.

"Layla..." He began to talk. I moved my hands away from my face and lacing my fingers together and leaning my face into them.

"Did you know?" I asked sternly. Clint stood up straight his hands falling beside him.

"Know about-" he began to talk again.

"DID YOU KNOW?" I yelled this time. My heart was breaking. Why didn't anyone tell me? There were articles upon articles of the Howling Commandos. Every one of them I had to read before heading down there. Barely any of them were about Bucky however. Clint sighed before looking down at the ground.

"Yes...I knew." He answered quietly. I sighed as I felt the tears begin to form in my eyes again.

"Why?" I croaked as I tried to hold them back, "I read everything before doing this mission. Not once did I see-"

"It was a test." He said quickly. I took a sharp breath, "Fury wanted to see if you were able to separate your feelings from a mission. So he purposely took out any information on Barnes."

I shook my head and scoffed, "So I failed the mission. I didn't pass the test."

Clint smiled at me softly before walking up. He quickly grabbed my hand and held it tightly.

"I wouldn't say mission failed. We still have to wake Cap up to see that. Test however..." He gestured his hand shaking it back and forth, "That's a 50/50."

I shook my head as he kneeled in front of me, "Look kid. We all have things we hold close to us. I know that better then anyone. Why do you think Laura is wiped off Shield's records." I chuckled a bit as he continued, "However I still come in everyday knowing I need to do what I need to do. You can't let something like this, or Fury's...well...fury, hold you back."

He bushed the hair out of my face and patted my head. "You're a good agent. One of the best since Nat and I. Don't take it to hard. We've all made mistakes along the way getting here."

He stood back up and let go of my hand. I nodded slowly. He smiled down at me before tilting his head.

"Come on. I'll let you beat me up a bit in the training room so you can let out some of that anger." He joked.