"Hi... uh-,"

"Gimme a sec! Genma- uhg- get away from the door!" Amaya's irritated voice rang from her bedroom from the back of her flat. Things could be heard crashing as she fumbled around out of sight.

"So'r you two like an item or somethin?" The man prodded.

"Uh- m' No, no way," Shikamaru waived his hands dismissively.

"Right..." The Jonin narrowed his eyes and gave the teen a scrutinizing look.

"I'm here," She breathed pushing past her nuisance of a neighbor with a small glare and stepping into the hall. Shikamaru inspected her face as her cheeks were slightly flushed from the running around and her short hair was haphazardly pulled into a ponytail. She blew her bangs out of her face and she rummaged through her bag for her keys.

"Took you long enough," He crossed his arms.

"Hmm someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.."

But before he could respond to her patronizing remark she crouched to meet the face of her old dog.

"You'll stay here today huh bud, it's way to hot for an old timer like yourself."

Kenshin padded his feet anxiously on the floor doing a little dance.

"I know, I'll be fine. Don't sweat it pal I'll be home before you know it ," she grinned running a hand over his face lovingly. With a brief wag of his tail the old dog reluctantly wandered back into the apartment.

Shikamaru watched the little interacted with a sweatdrop.

She sure knows that dog...

"Windows are closed, keys, wallet, bag, pouch..."

He watched as she did her little ritual. It was always before she left her apartment she went through a mental checklist usually consisting of the same items. Despite her mumbling to herself and patting her pockets like a crazy person the young Nara found it rather endearing.

"What's got you two up so early anyway? Exam doesn't start till 11:00," Genma asked meaning against the doorframe.

"I have to run a few errands, and I wanted to get breakfast,"

"Hm," he nodded

"And Shikamaru walks slow,"

This earned her a smack upside the head as the Nara side stepped her down the hall. She snickered watched his figure fade down the stairs.

There was a moment of silence before Genma spoke.

"You sure your ready for today?" He questioned incredulity.

"Yeah, as ready as I can be. I feel good," she smile up at him.

"I heard you fall out of bed last night, walls are thin," he hummed crossing his arms.

She rolled her eyes.

"Shut up,"

"I heard the screaming too."

There was a beat of silence.

"Yeah so what," she finally began, her voice had a slight edge to it.

"I never get much sleep anyway- I'm completely fit to scrape some Genin."

Genma clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes.

"That's what every crack pot shinobi thinks until they get there head cut off. Take this," the man loomed over her and held out a card with an address

42 mallard lane, Inoichi Yamanaka

".... A shrink?" She began as her eyes drifted up to him.

"Maybe you should mind your own business, sorry if I woke you- it wont happen again." Her tone was completely cold as she pushed the card back into his chest.