(04) Our Happy Forever

Time seemed to still completely for her even as his words echoed in her ears. Disbelief, pure disbelief crept up her visage. She couldn't believe what he just said. An array of emotions surged through, reflecting on her face. She stood frozen unable to understand how to react.

"What?" she asked after a moment of silence, still assuming she hadn't heard it right.

"I said I love you Imlie. I have loved you since the past 6 years. The day you left, I knew I was losing something precious but my ego dint let me accept that. It took me long but I finally realised that I love you. You are the only one I have truly loved. But I know you don't love me. You surely care for me, respect me like you did 9 years back but love...after what I did with you, I know you'll never love me. And I know I don't deserve you either. That's why I stayed away. I.."

"Shut Up!" she shouted interrupting him, leaving him shocked.

"What do you even think of yourself? Who are you? God? How do you know what I feel, what I deserve or what I want? Why does it have to be you each time who decides what our fate is? You say you love me from the past 6 years right? If you love me, why couldn't you ever understand me? Why couldn't you ever see or feel my emotions? You just said you know I care for you, respect you but why couldn't you ever comprehend that I love you too? I have loved you since the past 9 years! Can't you see my love for you in my eyes? You understood my care, my pain, whether my smile is genuine or not but couldn't understand this much that it all stems from my love for you!! 9 years Babusaheb! 9 years! 9 years I have spent in your memories, in the pain of heartbreak, in praying I get your love atleast in another lifetime, in wishing you be happy, in crying my heart out each night, in masking my feelings! 9 years I have spent in leading my life with love I thought was unrequited. 9 years I have spent in retaining myself in the lonely silences of night so as to not lose my sanity in the loneliness I felt. 9 years I have lived with pain thinking you never loved me nor you will! (Pauses to take breath) Who gave you the right to decide whether you deserve me or not? Wasn't it my right? Shouldn't it be my decision? And now after all these years you walk up to me and tell me you have loved me since 6 years and kept yourself away because you thought you dint deserve me?"

Aditya kept looking at her, overwhelmed. Tears were freely falling down his face but he dint bother to wipe them. Joy and melancholy both hit him at the same time.

"I'm sorry Imlie! I'm so sorry! I - I've always been such a fool! I thought after what I did, I did not deserve a precious star like you. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me. I love you Imlie and whether I deserve it or not, I need you in my life! Will you be my companion for life?" he said even as he stepped towards her, wiping her tears.

A smile bloomed on her face making her look even more beautiful as she nodded a yes. He pulled her into his arms and she finally felt at peace resting her head on his chest, right above his heart, the rhythm of his heartbeats soothing her.

"I love you too Babusaheb! I want to be with you all my life. I want to traverse on this journey with you by my side. I too need you in my life. All these years I was just existing, holding onto the handful of memories we made but now I finally feel, I'm living too! And never ever think that you don't deserve me. It's me who doesn't deserve you! But I have no more strength to bear this loneliness, this pain of years. Please be with me Babusaheb. I don't want to be alone anymore" she said hugging him tightly.

"You no longer will have to bear this pain and loneliness Imlie. I'll wipe all of it out of your life with my love. And you'll be alone no more. I'll be with you always"

"Till the end?" she asked looking up at him, still being in his embrace.

"Till the end" he replied smiling.

THE END

Love,
Pratyusha