Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Part One

Back To Normal (Whatever That Is)

Loraine

Just hours later Lori and Dax were almost back to they way they had always been, messing around near the flower beds. Giggling, Lori nudged Dax in the stomach and pointed to the old crone who taught Maths, who was out in the garden pottering in the flowers. Her sweat pants hung low over her hips and the pair were at the perfect angle for a stunning plumbers shot. Lori turned away in mild disgust, whilst Dax licked his lips and motioned towards the crone with a perverted eye brow-wiggle just for for Lori’s amusement. 

Lori continued to giggle silently as Dax picked a small beetle off the dirt floor, before flicking it at the teacher with perfect aim. It slid down her sweat pants and the two ran off giggling as she let out a high pitched scream.

---

Lori squeezed at the stress ball that her counselor had given her as she and Dax wandered the school's horse stables. Friday's were always the best. No counseling or lessons, so she was free to do what she wanted, which was to spend time with Dax. 

"So, I heard something about your roommate." Dax said, stroking a random horses muzzle.

"Cool, what about her?"

"Who says its a her? It could be some guy who would sneak into your bed in the dead of the night and.."

"Oh ew Dax! Of course its a girl."

"Her name is Cassidy, she got fucking arrested." Dax said, stealing Lori's stressball and throwing it against the wall.

"Wow, what for? And, for the record, I don’t even want to know how you know that."

"No idea, I don't keep tabs on her. I overheard Micheals and Matron talking about the 'new arrival.' Should be fun to get a new friend around here. Everyone's so weird here."

Lori rolled her eyes, "Of course they're weird. This place is a nuthouse."

"I'm not weird." Dax said, pouting.

"You have to take anti-depressants five times a day or you go insane and try to resort to cannibalism. Remember that?"

Grinning, Dax leaped up and walked slowly over to Lori, "Hey! I don’t have to take them any more.”

“Or so you say!”

“Who says I haven't become one?" before leaping at her.

Lori squealed and ran outside, towards the drive way with Dax chasing her. He easily caught up and tackled her to the ground, just as a police car drew up the driveway.

Part Two

Cassidy

Crackhouse, Here I Come

She could feel it, their accusing stares burning into the back of her skull. It was as though their feelings of hatred radiated towards her, she marched into the large courtyard and collected her large blue duffel bag that contained everything she’d ever owned. They all stared at her from within the building, well at least the half that she hadn’t cremated. 

One kid even had the balls to flip her the bird, although they were behind her she could see half of them through her peripheral vision as she bent down to pick up her bag, she grinned slyly as she slowly, ominously turned to face the row of accusatory glares. She picked out the one who had flipped her off and looked him directly in the eyes, and grinned once more - a sinister forewarning. She reached into her pocket as she did so and retrieved her pride and joy, it was small, slim, silver and most importantly reliable - unlike everything else hat surrounded her. She flicked the lighter quickly, reveling in the graceful orange flame that danced upon the rim. Grinning, menacingly, but entranced nonetheless the flames danced in her eyes and her heart. The lighter was gone before the children could even be sure it was there, but from their little horrified faces she could see that her work here was done. 

She walked over to the police car awaiting her arrival with an air of erie calm about her, she got in and sat down but was sure to slam the door - hard. 

She leaned back in the police car, which ironically enough had been her sanctuary for the past couple of days, always there, always reliable, ready to take her away from the accusatory glares. She leaned back into the seat, and slipped her headphones into her ears, ready to get away - not just from this. Ready to get away from everything she had ever known.

She only realized that she had slipped into a drowsy, but marvelous, sleep once she felt a firm hand on her shoulder shaking her awake. She decided she may be able to have some fun with this. She opened one eye, and glared at him and a small sliver of a grin appeared on her face, a small sliver of an evil grin. He held strong but she could see the slight fear in his eyes, he had only been there around three months, or so she had heard and hadn’t yet transformed into the hardened man that most do at around a year. She knew so well, oh so well the ways of their world, but she wished she didn’t.

“Let go,” she growled, referring to his hand, still firmly on her shoulder. He looked slightly shocked as this was the first time he had heard her speak. “I said, let go.” This time her tone was more deadly, more violent. 

“Fine,” he sighed, she was only a kid after all, he thought to himself. She could see it in his eyes, she knew what he was thinking. She hated what he was thinking. He hesitated for a moment, but a moment too long, she gave him a swift kick in the shin, the weakest part of the shin.

“I said: let go.” She growled and heaved her duffel bag over her shoulder, leaving him writhing in pain on the ground. She marched towards the reformatory, or ‘academy‘ as they seemed to prefer to call it here.   

It looked all right, she supposed, but as soon as she saw a boy and a girl on top of each other, her illusions no longer held strong.

“Another bloody crack-house...” She muttered. Sighing, she kicked the gravel around with her feet, but the couple were in her peripheral vision. 

“GET A ROOM!” She yelled decidedly, as she stormed through the school doors, only sparing the police car and its driver one glance.