Chapter 7

She stumbled, only just keeping from falling as she continued to run. Her vision was blurred and swayed this way and that, forcing her to pause every few seconds. Her breath echoed against the narrow walls. It was so dark that she could only see a few steps ahead of herself, though that didn't matter. With her hand dragging along the wall on her right, she moved by memory. She knew these passages. Every turn, every fork, she knew.

Again she stumbled, and she had to stop completely. While she waited, summoning the energy to go on, she listened. No footsteps reached her throbbing ears. Even through the bandages covering them, she could hear even the drip of distant leaks in the stone hallways, the squeaks of rats scuttling further along, and the wind promising freedom if she just. Kept. Moving.

Her own high-pitched sobs filled the passageway, but she pushed off the wall and staggered on. The shadows seemed to stretch on forever, the darkness swallowing her like she was diving straight into the throat of a great beast. The little light that seeped through the ceiling grates faded, and she was consumed by the shadows. The child's breathless sobs echoed louder and louder as the tunnel narrowed the dim light being absorbed by the nothingness ahead.

Aleya jerked awake from a fitful sleep to the shouts and murmurs of the crew and distant crowds on the pier. The ship sailed along the river through the night. They were in Havendell.

Pulling her shawl over her hair and securing it around her head, Aleya headed out. She pushed through the doors leading up to the deck and let her eyes adjust to the brightness of the day. She spotted Marco leaning lazily against the railing, watching the crew work hard loading and unloading cargo up and down a ramp. Other ships were anchored along the pier, and when Aleya moved towards the edge of the deck, she saw throngs of people making their way in both directions. They filled every available space, leaving no corner uninhabited, and looking further, Aleya could see it was hardly different further into the city.

Marco spotted her and sauntered over with a sly grin.

"Good morning." He bubbled.

Aleya gave him a tired smile. "An early bird, I see?"

Marco chuckled and turned back to the bustle on the deck.
"Who can sleep through all this anyway?" He sighed. "They'll be doing this for the rest of the day, we won't be moving on until Elaine is satisfied with her profits today, and the cargo that'll be bound for Silaeria."

Aleya stifled a groan. This was better than what she would have expected. They were somehow lucky enough to make it aboard a ship heading East, for free. She smiled gratefully at Marco.

"I never really thanked you." She said.

Marco's eyes widened in mock horror. "Oh no. Don't start." He moaned, taking a deep breath as if to brace himself. He crossed his arms and turned away from her but peaked at her out of the corner of his eye. His smile curled on his mouth, and Aleya laughed.

"You can thank me by keeping me company, anything is better than waiting around here all day..." He stretched his arms over his head and yawned.

Footsteps sounded behind her and she turned to see Damien emerge from the cabin doors looking annoyingly battle-ready and not at all dishevelled from sleep. His eyes met hers and she remembered what they had discussed the night before. She shivered and dropped her gaze, turning back to the view of the city harbour. Marco had said something to her but in her mind, she was still standing on the deck last night. She absently toyed with the medallion around her neck.

"Aleyyyyaa?" Marco poked her when she didn't respond, pulling her back to the present. She gave him a questioning look. He scoffed, feigning offence.
"I said," he drawled, "we need to get off this ship. I know a place where we can relax a little before you'll be stuck here for the next two weeks on your way to Silaeria." Marco was already leading Aleya towards the ramp, despite her weak protests.