Chapter 15 | Strength

Start from the beginning

The two females settled into their now familiar opposing positions, and Iris was just about to make the first move when a sudden call caught her off guard and she glanced up, Mizuki mirroring her actions simultaneously.

"Iris!"

Iris was both surprised and delighted to see the familiar form of Arlo making his way across the training field towards her. He arrived in front of them, glancing in amusement at the struggling lycans pacing around the field, before directing a wry smile at Mizuki.

"Still working them hard huh?"

Mizuki's expression was blank as she bowed low to greet her Prince. "Forgive me my Lord, they are not currently up to standard. It seems I must have been slacking in my duties."

Arlo grinned easily. "Somehow I doubt that," he said jovially, "raise your head." His clear blue eyes then turned to Iris, "Did I interrupt your fight Princess? Did you want to continue?"

Iris shook her head and smiled up at him eagerly. "It's fine. Did you come to challenge me instead?" She asked hopefully.

Arlo chuckled and ruffled her hair lightly. "As a matter of fact, I have."

"My Lord has come to spar with the Princess?" Mizuki asked in surprise.

"Arlo promised to fight me once I beat you," Iris confessed, looking at Mizuki a little apologetically.

"I was wondering why the Princess had become particularly determined this last week," Mizuki said with a slight smile. 'It is good you are here then my Lord; you can witness the Lady's progress for yourself.'

"I was watching your last bout; you've improved immensely Iris," Arlo agreed. "In all honesty, I actually have to leave again tomorrow morning and I'll be gone for some time – I thought that I should keep my word before that happens."

Iris frowned, reaching up to tug on his hand that was still atop her head. His fingers were now attempting to smooth down the dark waves he had messed up and she squeezed them tightly. "You're leaving again?"

Arlo nodded, his eyes softening at her crestfallen expression. "Yes, Beauty. We are close to finding their base. We must push forward before they catch wind of our actions and shift locations. With how difficult it's been, it wouldn't surprise me if they were holding an elf or two, prisoner. Only concealment magic could have hidden them for this long."

"Then isn't it the Elven Queen's job to rescue them?" Iris asked.

"Perhaps," Arlo replied, "but at the centre of it all Princess, are the Shifters. And they fall under our dominion. Or rather, they fall under Darius's. Remember, they have laid waste to the Elven Capital Elysian as well," Arlo pointed out, "we cannot let them go unpunished." His voice was mild, but Iris caught the hard, coldness hidden in his eyes and knew he was deadly serious.

Iris had heard about Elysian from both Arlo and Balthazar. It sounded horrible. Although she had not lived here for long, when she imagined such a thing happening to Aether, the thought of it made her stomach turn. She sighed.

"I understand." She squared her shoulders, "then take me with you." Her words were not spoken lightly. Iris had considered this for a long time, using Mizuki as a starting point for the level of strength she would need to reach if she were to be considered for such a mission.

To her distain, she noticed Arlo holding back laughter at her words.

"You laugh?" She demanded incredulously.

"Forgive me Beauty," he chuckled, holding his hands up in defence, "but just as there is a standard for being allowed to train, there is also a standard for becoming one of the Elite."