I shrug. "You spent your last birthday in the homeless shelter, at least you got to celebrate this one."

He nods, in deep thought before clearing his throat and smiling. "Let's go, I don't need Eric chewing my balls off any more than he has been the past few days."

"Has he?" I ask as he enters the code to lock the door, nodding in response. My shoes click as we walk down the stairs towards the exit. "Doesn't he always come down hard on you, though?"

"When I forwarded the report to him about those two guys..." He stops, running his tongue along his teeth. "He offered me retraining in combat and asked if you were hurt, four times, even though it's on the file that you were untouched."

"Like I said, overprotective."

He hums. "Sure."

When we eventually make it to the centre of the town, the area where VIP joins the lower demographic, Gareth stays close to my side, looking left and right until we get behind the stage that's been built up. The sign above has 'Memorial Day' printed on it, and chairs litter the entire field in front of it, occupied with everyone in the dome.

The thought of my attempted masked killer out there, watching me, probably calculating another attack, makes my skin crawl.

And Robbie is out there, someone I haven't seen in weeks. I hope, despite his mistreatment of me, he is okay and managing life. I know he's an arse and doesn't deserve one ounce of my thoughts, but he was someone to me for years, and wasn't always so unhinged and foolish.

I don't miss him, not at all, but I don't wish him any negativity.

The people who tried to kill me, however, I hope they suffer, preferably sooner rather than later.

"There you are!" Ains shrieks, her hair neatly pulled back into a bun at the top of her head, wearing a beautiful red dress that floats behind her. "Orla keeps asking if you're here."

"Is she nervous?" I look around to see her, my eyes momentarily landing on Eric's back before searching the rest of the area. I feel butterflies again, they've been a tad MIA since I've been snubbing him, but here they are, going wild, ruining my positive mood.

"Very, but she's excited to tell everyone how her year has been in the big school. Mum mentioned she might bring her to dinner at your parents' place next week."

Well, I must admit that I am surprised. Her mum is strict as hell and keeps Orla away from that side of the dome. She's never come to my parents' house, never been allowed to go to events or town meetings, and when the woman is asked by my own mother, she says she wants a normal childhood for her.

Ains and I then talk for the next half an hour, waiting on everyone to settle while my dad prepares for his speech. Gareth stays near to me, and another two guards are in the vicinity, hunting for any threats while communicating through their bands.

"He's looking at you," Ainsley whispers in my ear when she pretends to fix my hair. "I mean, he looks mad, but he can't take his eyes off you."

I gulp, not daring to turn around. "He's protective, that's all."

My war cry.

She laughs as she moves back, the microphone screeching as my dad steps up to the podium. "And that's why you've been ignoring him?"

Frowning, I tilt my head at her. "What?"

Her eyes are on my face. I can tell they aren't focused, but more on the man far behind me. She fake laughs and turns us so Eric is to the back of her now. "Smile."