chapter 4- fancy her

Start from the beginning

i smile. i love the way he asks me to play minecraft with him so formally.

aubrey: hello wilbur! i would love to accompany you in practicing for a minecraft tournament :) shall we vc?

WilburSoot: i see you've caught onto my regal ways of speaking. yes, we shall vc!

i laugh. regal? please.

wilbur starts a call that i immediately join.

"hello there, miss aubrey," wilbur says, his accent even thicker than before.

"it's nice to see you again, mister wilbur," i reply, matching his sophisticated tone. we both laugh.

"what have you been up to today?" wilbur asks as he logs into the mcc practice server.

"been thinking a lot. stressing a lot. how about you?"

"same. we're very similar."

"are we really, now? i reckon we don't know each other well enough to determine that." wilbur scoffs.

"way to spoil the fun." i can hear him pout.

"that doesn't mean we can't GET to know each other. come on, let me inside of the mind of wilbur soot for a minute. i know the exterior shell, the streamer and singer version of wilbur soot. but i don't REALLY know wilbur soot."

"i'm gonna take a shot every time you say 'wilbur soot.'"

"wilbur soot, wilbur soot, wilbur soot, wilbur-"

"okay okay!" we both laugh. "well... what do you want to know?" i tap my chin in thought for a minute.

"how old are you?" i ask.

"getting personal, are we?" wilbur asks sarcastically. i snort.

"come on. i'll tell you if you tell me."

"deal. i'm twenty-four."

"oh, we're pretty close in age. i'm twenty-two."

"i don't know about you, but i'm feeling-"

"no." i interrupt wilbur's singing. "i hear that every time i tell someone my age." wilbur gives an airy laugh.

"my turn to ask a question," wilbur asks. "uhh... what type of music do you listen to?"

"your music. i listened to the songs you sent me last night. you're talented." i hear wilbur snicker.

"what's your favorite song that i sent you?"

"since i saw vienna. it's really calming."

"well, thank you." wilbur pauses for a minute. "besides me, who do you listen to?"

"um..." i bite my bottom lip in thought. "i don't really know..."

"have you ever heard of alec benjamin?" wilbur asks suddenly. i tap my chin.

"definitely have heard the name, one second..." i look up alec benjamin on my computer and a few of his popular songs show up. "oh, this guy! yes i have. not very many songs, though. i've heard water fountain and jesus in la. that's about it." we laugh.

"hmm...  okay now that i think about it, i like a mix of everything. my favorite artists are chase atlantic and lana del rey, though." wilbur hums in approval.

"drugs," he says with a dead tone. my eyebrows quickly raise at the word.

"d-drugs?" i repeat.

"don't they both sing about drugs a lot?" i let out a long laugh.

"i guess so, yeah. that's not necessarily why i like them, though. unless..."

"aubrey, aubrey, aubrey. you can't see me right now, but i'm shaking my head."

wait.

"i've never seen your face," i suddenly blurt out. i hear a quiet "oh" escape from wilbur's lips.

"well, um, i can just..." wilbur trails off and i notice he turns his camera on.

oh wow.

i bite my tongue to keep myself from saying anything stupid out loud. he's a handsome guy, with a head of curly brown hair that swoops almost completely over his eyes. and his eyes, his eyes! they're a mocha brown color behind his round, gold glasses. not to mention his impeccable sense in fashion. i admire the dark red knitted sweater that he's wearing.

i feel like i'd see him at a library, reading an old and sophisticated book, like the odyssey or crime and punishment, sipping a cup of (probably black) coffee slowly. not behind a pc setup, playing minecraft and blowing up nations (yes, i did look up the lore this morning).

"your silence is making me nervous," wilbur informs me, his mouth straightening into a line. i can see a hint of anxiety flash in his eyes and i'm snapped back into my senses.

"i'm just-" i shake my head, trying to get the words out. "you're very handsome." wilbur turns a deep shade of crimson, practically the same color as his sweater, and i pretend not to notice.

"thank you," he replies meekly.

(someone please please please notice that they both thought "oh wow" when they saw each other's faces. i was trying so hard to have, like, parallel storylines i think it's called? something like that? and kdjhafkdhausifda i thought that was so cool BUT ANYWAY!! hi! thank you so much for reading! i hope you enjoyed this chapter :D it's the middle of june when i'm writing this so i'm currently listening to heat waves. just thought you should know that HAHA. anyway, please vote, comment, share, and add this to your reading lists! i appreciate all the support given to this story so far and it means the world to me! YOU GUYS mean the world to me :) i hope you have a great day and i love you!! <3)