But now, he was finally returning to the glittering and gilded capital, where wind is warm and the air is perfumed by the blooming wildflowers. At last, he was finally coming home.

In the Princess's chambers, Catarina began to stir awake

In the Princess's chambers, Catarina began to stir awake. At first, she thought that she was back at Lorewell due to how comfortable and warm the bed was, but when she opened her eyes and saw the scrutinising gaze of Princess Demitria de Lavilliers, she knew that she had yet to escape from the horror that was Aethiel Palace.

           "Lady de Fontaine ?" the Princess called out, and Catarina immediately jolted awake.

She had not known for how long she had been asleep, nor how exactly she had gotten there. However, she did remember about the man in the maze and the gold buckled leather boots he donned.

       That man, who selflessly endured the rain and ventured inside the maze just to save her.

            "Your Highness," Catarina addressed. "Who was the person who brought me here ?"

Demitria knew that she would definitely ask that question, so she had prepared a fake answer beforehand. "I noticed that you were gone, so I had the soldiers search for you."

             "What was his name ?" Catarina questioned, a bit too excitedly.

             "Whose name ?"

             "The soldier who brought me here."

Demitria frowned. She had no thought of that yet. "I didn't ask," she answered coolly, as was expected of her.

             "Was he wearing leather boots with gold buckles ?" 

             "I didn't notice."

Catarina let out a dreadful sigh. How was she supposed to find him now ? At least she still had her painting. She absentmindedly reached for the painting, expecting to feel the rough canvas and gritty paint streaks against her fingertips, there was nothing there.

              "Did you see my painting, Your Highness ?" Catarina asked carefully, and the Princess shook her head quickly. A bit too quickly.

              "The soldier who brought you here didn't bring any sort of painting with him. It is alright if you lost it-- the competition is called off anyways. Almost everyone had their paintings utterly destroyed by the rain," Demitria informed.

                "Do you think that it's still in the maze ? Can I have a soldier accompany me into the maze to retrieve it ?" 

                 "No, it's too dangerous. Even if it were still there, it must've been ruined," the Princess said sternly. "Why are you so adamant in retrieving the painting anyways ? You could just make another one, Lady de Fontaine."