Chapter 4 Part 1: Who Was He?

Emily's POV

I woke up to the sound of growling. Quickly, I sat up and noticed that a brown werewolf was staring me down.  He looked strong but I could tell he was a beta, so I didn't back down, for I was the daughter of one. We stared each other so intensely that I hadn't noticed the other wolf coming out of the woods until I heard a deep menacing growl to my left. I quickly looked over in the direction that the growl came from and came nose to nose with a very large, black wolf with deep blue eyes. I quickly looked down to show my respect to this wolf. He was an alpha.

"If you're going to kill me, please just do it already. I have suffered enough," I begged and the growling stopped. I looked up to see that they black wolf was gone and the brown one was sitting in front of me, his head cocked to one side and his brown eyes staring at me with a look of surprise.

The bushes rattled to my left and out walked a man who looked 18. He had long, jet black hair and the same blue eyes as the wolf. He had a broad chest with a black T-shirt stretched over it, which made it easy to see his muscular chest and his rather nice eight pack. He was wearing a pair of black jeans. I looked away.

He walked over and knelt down besides me. His smell was intoxicating. He smelt of pine, danger, and sweat; it was a delicious mixture. He reached over and softly grabbed my chin, forcing me to look at him.

"What's your name love?" his deep, masculine voice asked.

"Emily . . . Emily Rae Massingale," I answered.

"Emily Massingale? As in the Moon Shire Pack's dead beta's daughter Emily Massingale?" he asked a little more carefully.

"Yes . . ." I whimpered.

I went to cover up my face but remembered my rejection mark and tried to put my arm behind my back before he saw it. I was too late. He grabbed my arm and held it out in front of him. He studied it, then looked at back at me, his eyes filled with concern.

"Who was he, and when?" he asked quickly.

"Damien Tomlinson, future alpha of the Moon Shire Pack. The day after my parents died. Right when I woke up in the hospital," I cried as tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I looked down, but not before noticing something that caught me way off guard. His left arm had an "R" etched into his skin too. My breath caught in my throat. Looking back up into his eyes, I could tell he let me see it for a reason.

"Emily, have you ever heard of the term, second chance mates?" he asked grabbing a hold of my hands. I felt sparks go off when he touched me.

I just started at him in shock. I had heard that if a werewolf was rejected by their first mate and didn't kill themselves or go bat ass crazy, fate might give them a second chance at having a mate. These were called second chance mates. I just couldn't believe that I was one of the ones to get one.