Preparing for a Big Night

It's finally the day to celebrate the one year celebration of arriving at the Safe Haven. Joel and Luke have been working hard to prepare their new song. Courtney and the girls have been working on making the paper lanterns. Everyone else is doing their own little things to contribute to the celebration.

~~~~~~~~~~

Frypan and the cooks, along with Gally and the builders are really feeling the pressure. They only have several hours to get an abundance of food made and a new seating area built.

"Hey Joel. Can you come here?" Gally said to get his attention.

"What's up?" he asked as he wiped some sweat from his forehead.

"We need to figure how well people can hear from these new bleachers. So, could you get Luke and sing a song to test it?" Gally asked.

"Sure." Joel said, then went off to find his brother.

Luke was in the kitchen with the other cooks. He just finished preparing cups of water for the builders. Then, he sees Joel walking towards the kitchen.

"Perfect timing. I got your waters ready." Luke said.

"Thanks. Gally wants us to sing a song to test how well people can hear in the new seating area." Joel explained.

"No problem. Fry, is that okay?" Luke said.

"Go ahead. I can handle it here." Frypan answered.

With that, the two brothers walked back to the building site.

The kids were sitting at a picnic table, taking a break from all their hard work. Thomas noticed Joel and Luke walking towards the building site. The two of them were talking to Gally.

"Hey. I wonder what's going on over there." he said, pointing it out to his friends.

"Well, let's go find out." Brenda said.

Everyone gets up and walks over to the building site. They sit on the new bleachers to watch Joel and Luke test with a practice song.

"Start whenever you're ready." Gally yelled down to them.

Joel gave him a thumbs up. Him and Luke were whispering what song they should do until they finally settled on one.

L: Got up on this high horse
But couldn't find a way back down
Tryna find a true north
But everything's the wrong way round

J&L: Busy breakin' down the walls
Just to build up fences
Try to see the other side
But no one's bending
We wait to shout and bare our souls
So we shout opinions
But nobody listens

J&L: For Heaven's sake, we're missing hope
Been saving face and throwing stones, so
Take your mistakes, just let 'em go
'Cause don't we all wear those
Broken halos?

Ooh, ooh, ooh
Broken halos

J: Untangle all the wires
Let's stretch out our dusty wings
Ooh, let's run to the wild
And get a clear view of everything

J&L: See the Technicolor grace
Reaching over mountains
Showing there's another way
Another way

J&L: For Heaven's sake, we're missing hope
Been saving face and throwing stones, so
Take your mistakes, just let 'em go
'Cause don't we all wear those
Broken halos?

Ooh, ooh, ooh
Broken halos
Ooh, ooh, ooh

J&L: You will rise, you will rise
You will find your strength
You can soar, you can soar
On the eagle's wings
Don't you dare, don't you dare
Don't you hang your head

J&L: For Heaven's sake, we're missin' hope
Been savin' face and throwin' stones, so
Take your mistakes, just let 'em go
'Cause don't we all wear those (Oh)

J: For Heaven's sake L: (For Heaven's sake),
J: we're missin' hope L: (We're missin' hope)
J: Been savin' face L: (Been savin' face)
J&L: and throwin' stones, so
J: Take your mistakes L: (Take your mistakes),
J: just let 'em go L: (Just let them go)

J&L: 'Cause don't we all wear those
Broken halos?

Ooh, ooh, ooh
Broken halos
Ooh, ooh, ooh
Broken halos

Everyone around started clapping for them.

"How was that?" Joel yelled up the bleachers.

"Sounds good." Gally yelled back and gave them a thumbs up.

The group got up from the seating area and walked down to Joel and Luke to tell them how awesome they sounded.

"Was that the song you guys were singing last night?" Mallory asked her dad.

"You'll find out soon enough." Joel answered, then patted her shoulders.

With that, everyone got back to work because there was still a lot to be done. The girls went back to making the paper lanterns.

"Man, these are hard." Sonya said.

"Yeah, but it'll be worth it." Delilah said.

"I think it's a good idea to honor those that didn't make it." Harriet said.

"Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like if the lost ones actually made it here." Brenda spoke up.

Suddenly, that got the others' attention as Brenda looked like she was about to cry. The girls engulfed her in a group hug as she cried into their shoulders. They were shocked to see Brenda upset because she has such a tough exterior. After a few minutes, they let go and Courtney handed her a cloth to wipe her tears.

"Sorry, it's just, I wish my brother could be here. I miss him so much." Brenda said in between sniffles.

"We all have loved ones that have passed and it's okay to miss them every single day." Courtney said.

"Yeah. I never knew my mom, but because my dad told me all about her, it feels like she's still with me." Mallory explained.

"Wow. I never thought of it like that. Thanks, girls." Brenda said.

"You know, since we're on the subject, I can't help but wonder something too." Delilah mentioned.

"What's that?" Harriet asked.

"What our lives were like before WICKED erased all of our memories." Delilah said.

"Well, that was then and this is now. We've made a better life for ourselves, so let's not look back on the bad times." Sonya stated.

"Yeah. I mean I agree with you guys are saying, but today is supposed to be a happy day. Let's get back to work, we still have a ton of lanterns to make." Mallory said, grabbing some tools.

~~~~~~~~~~

After a hard day's work, everything is ready for the celebration. It's nearly sunset and everyone was getting excited.