Chapter 15: Gauntlet of Deadly Terror

"Oh... wow... I don't know if this is impressive... or just sad."

We had run into another guard station, with a sign that said "AWARE OF DOG: pleas pet dog", though its guard was absent. But, around the entire area, were snow sculptures of dogs... particularly the Lesser Dog we ran into earlier. And the result was rather sad. Several snow pillars, all in various shapes, with a fallen snow-dog head near everyone.

A bipedal goat monster in a purple sweater with green stars and purple pants stood nearby, and overheard me. "A dog just rushed in here, filled with inspiration," he explained. "It kept trying to build a snowdog that expressed its own emotions... But, as it built, it kept getting more excited about the sculpture... Its neck got longer and longer, and it added more and more snow, until..." he sighed. "It was rather sad to watch, but I couldn't turn away."

Frisk just looked sadly at the snow sculptures, before signing to me, did I cause this?

I smiled softly, and signed back, maybe, but you inspired him, right? You should be proud of that! Look, knowing that this dog will never give up trying to make the perfect snowdog... that should fill you with both inspiration AND determination.

Frisk silently giggled. I was glad to see her start to improve.

She looked inside the guard station, and pulled out a box of "pomeraisins". I chuckled at that, but told her to leave the box behind, since it probably belonged to the Lesser Dog.

Moving on, we ran into another X-O puzzle, but this time, it was on ice... with cliffs dropping down on all sides.

"O-o-oh boy!" I sounded. "I-I-I don't know..."

Frisk didn't wait for me to say anything more, as she began sliding along the ice, hitting the Xs in the right order, before she hit the switch completion switch, which causes a strip of land to jut out through the trees, opening the way forward. Frisk then gave me a thumbs up.

"Y-you must have done this one a lot," I noted. "Okay, I- I'm coming over." I slowly made my way to a place where I could just slide right along the icy bridge. Once I got there, I clenched my eyes as I stepped onto the ice... slipped on my butt, and slid away. I must have run into Frisk along the way, because I felt her land in my lap, and immediately clutch my waist.

Due to my fear, I began to whimper from being so high up, and potentially falling off the edge... Until I slid onto some snow, coming to a stop.

I slowly opened my eyes, finding little Frisk in my arms, and the two of us on the other side of the tree line.

Frisk pointed to the top of my head, and when I lifted my hand to it, I found that it was covered in snow. I laughed at I brushed it off, and let Frisk off me so I could get up. "Okay, let's get moving."

Continuing on, we began going down a pathway going along a cliffside, and we passed by some more snow sculptures. Well, one could be called a snow sculpture, as it was a snow Papyrus. The other... was a lump of snow with the word "sans" written on it in red marker.

"Whelp, that's to be expected," I said.

"eh, you just don't get the artistic skill," a voice joked.

Looking up, I found Sans standing there. "what's up?"

"The ceiling," I answered.

"Heh heh, good one," Sans replied.

I waved and walked away... only to run into him again a few steps ahead.

I was taken aback by this. Did he pass me? No... I swore he didn't...