♱ Chapter 12 ♱

Start from the beginning

"Bravo, bravo," I clapped, finally curbing my shock. Evander chuckled at my response.

"It's not every day I get to show off my abilities. They are nothing special among my kind," He admitted. I furrowed my brow at that.

"Is there anything you can do that no other Witch can do?" I asked.

Evander smirked once again and I instantly knew that was a yes.

"I cannot say for certain I am the only one with certain abilities. It's not something specific I can do, but I do have a few things that are hard to achieve or near unattainable," He explained.

"As in...?"

"If I focus hard enough, I can see where people are through their eyes and thoughts. The memory sharing is also rare," Evander listed a few. He wasn't trying to be egoistic, but it sure didn't pass me that Evander knew of his talent.

"Sounds like you're a professional Warlock," I chuckled quietly. Evander shook his head with a smile on his face.

"My mother used to just say I was more experienced than my peers. I wouldn't say I'm a professional though."

"What about your other element? You said you were born with both Fire and Earth. Is that rare to have more than one?" I asked.

"Somewhat. Only a few people that I know were born with two elements," He explained. He whirled his hand and the fire in the pit extinguished itself in one forceful sweep.

"Here," Evander plucked a dark crimson rose from a bush pressed up against his house. It wasn't illuminated like the others, but it was in astoundingly good health. Its petals showed no withering or spotting. The perfection of the flower was almost unnatural. The unnatural perfection didn't detract from the overall beauty though.

He held the stem between his fingers delicately as he held it out to me. At first, I imagined he was simply offering me a rose. If I could blush, I wondered if I would have. Realizing that this was just another trick he wanted to show me, I reached up and grabbed the stem from him. Evander closed his eyes and sighed, holding his hand up so his palm overshadowed the rose.

I watched as the perfect rose began to wither and the petals began to droop. As the life of the rose left, so did the beauty of it. Soon enough, the rose was left with no more life and the petals were softly falling to the ground. When Evander opened his eyes, the smallest flare of golden amber flickered in his eyes.

It was almost... heartbreaking seeing such a beautiful flower die. Sure enough, it was just a flower, but watching it quickly wither away into a fraction of what it once was was saddening. I frowned at the once perfect flower now dead in my hand.

"Is this what you meant by siphoning?" I questioned, gesturing to the dead rose in my hand.

"Yes, but that is not nearly enough to make much of a difference. Such a small rose could barely provide much energy," Evander told me, taking the rose from my fingertips.

"Is that why it died?"

Evander nodded, "A much larger, much older object such as a tree would not have been affected so greatly."

"So how do you give that energy back?"

"It doesn't work like that. Energy cannot simply be put back. I took all of the energy and life out of the rose, meaning it has no need for the energy now that it is dead," Evander explained. He dropped the rose where the dry petals now laid. "But, that doesn't mean its energy will not be used for a greater cause."

Evander went back to the bush and found where he had plucked the rose from. He placed his palm above the broken branch and soon new stems began to grow, leaves and roses forming as if a whole month of growing just happened within seconds.

Each rose was just as perfect and unflawed as the rest. Instead of one rose, there were half a dozen.

"One rose's sacrifice was fed into the rebirth of six others. I guess you could say that is the art of siphoning; giving for a greater purpose."

––––––––––•A/N•––––––––––

Hello everyone! Glad to be back I hope. I know it sucks I waited a couple weeks but I loved having more time to edit and perfect the chapter.

Love you all and all the support.

Comment here —>

Vote

&

Share