The day you told me you wanted to die (5)

When Bennett woke up the next morning, it took a few seconds for his brain to remember.

Then he cried again.

After his body didn't have any tears left to cry, he got up and sat down at his desk, where his phone still laid.
He hadn't touched it since last night.

But now he texted the person he wanted to hear most from right now.

Razor answered almost immediately and Bennett stared at  their last few messages:

Bennett 9:34
"My grandpa committed suicide yesterday"

Razor 9:35
"I'm so sorry"
"I'm here for you"
"Do you want me to come over?"

Bennett 9:36
"Okay."

Razor 9:38
"I'll be there in ten"

His hands trembled so hard his phone fell on the floor.

Bennett knew when Razor came over, he wouldn't be able to tell him the truth.

He wouldn't be able to cry and scream, to beg and plead.
He wouldn't be able to tell him that now he understood how much easier dying seemed.

No, the world wasn't great. People died, innocent children were murderered, countries were fighting and nothing would ever be perfect.
"That's just the way the world works.", Bennett whispered to himself.

The truth hurt his heart and he was just trying to stop himself from making up scenarios of all kind, when his phone made a sound again.

It was Razor.

Razor 9:43
"I know this isn't important right now, but I'm one month clean. :)"

Oh Razor, it was important.

Bennett looked out the window to find Razor getting out of his mom's car and running to the front door.

In just a few seconds they would fall into each other's arms to blend out all the pain in this world and float in their fragile bubble of peace and forgetting.

Bennett closed his eyes as the doorbell rang and clenched his hand into a fist.

"Yeah, that's just how the world works, Razor. But maybe it could work for you and me."