my general opinion on the Scott Cawthon drama

look, i dont usually talk about this shit but i feel like its important to mention on some platform bc of how much content i make for the fnaf community (mostly on here). im also just posting this in case someone asks for my opinion on it in the future, just so theres some receipt of what ive said.

(to recap the situation: someone found receipts of Scott Cawthon donating around 14k over the years to republican parties, more specifically Trump, with some as recent as 2020. he made a post on reddit in response to the situation basically saying that he voted for economic reasons and does not agree w/ all the policies of the people he voted for, and asking for people to quit doxxing him and threatening him and his family. he also said that he works on fnaf for the enjoyment and not profit, so if people believe he is not good for the fanbase or franchise anymore, he would retire so that fnaf could continue to grow w/out him)

so, to start off w/, yes, i consider myself part of the lgbt2q+ community, but i am also white, not of voting age, and canadian, thus im going to have a different viewpoint from someone who is bipoc and/or forced to actually live with the american president. if you want to stop supporting Scott Cawthon and his works bc of his political views, or still enjoying fnaf while ignoring anything Scott is doing, then im not going to fault you for that. youre totally allowed to do that and i applaud you for standing w/ your decision.

however, heres MY opinion on it;

i generally believe a creators / influencers / etc political and personal opinions and life and what they do with their money isnt my fucking business, unless they specifically start using their platform / money /content to release and support racist / sexist / queerphobic / etc shit (for example, JK Rowling, who i would have ignored until she started using her twitter platform to spread terf and transphobic shit). i have this belief, due to the fact that if you avoided everything that had any links to shitty people / business / creators etc it would be super hard to enjoy anything (for example, anything to do with disney!). the important part is being able to look critically at the content these people produce and the parts which are influenced by their beliefs, and acknowledge those parts for what they are.

in terms of fnaf and Scott Cawthon, i always kinda of assumed he was republican. hes a diehard christian, use to make super christian games, i had heard rumours of him being pro-life before, so him being republican just made sense. however, at least for fnaf, Scott has kept his political and religious views out of it. (for example, even tho he is a hardcore Christian and his series deals with death, hes never even alluded to heaven/hell it in fnaf other than the broad sense of "a good and bad afterlife"). he has also openly worked with queer creators in the past and donated tons of shit to charity and to these queer creators (fazbear fanverse initiative anyone?). and while his earlier games were very christian, he has never used the large platform he built w/ fnaf to preach his religion, political views or anything else. hes always been super private about his personal life, and his donations were dug up by someone who admitted they post it bc they thought it would be funny and "a joke". edit: to make myself clearer, bc i forgot to mention it in my original post, him doing all these good things does NOT outweigh anything bad hes done, but it does show he is not as horrible of a person.

so, that said; unless he starts using platform and thus fnaf to preach his beliefs and racist / sexist / queerphobic/ etc shit, i am going to continue to to enjoy and make content for fnaf, in my tiny corner of the internet, and will most likely buy merch in the future, and if any more mobile ports of games come out ill definitely get them. who he does and doesnt vote for isnt any of my business and while i am slightly disappointed to hear he is a trump supporter and pro-life, its, again, none of my fucking business until he starts spreading racist / sexist / queerphobic / etc shit.

however, if anyone else chooses to do the opposite (ie, stop supporting him or fnaf), then thats your choice, and youre also allowed to not associate with anyone else who choose to still support him. your mental health and safety comes first and if you genuinely believe supporting Scott and fnaf could hurt you, your loved ones or community, youre totally allowed to do that

BUT, IMPORTANT TO MENTION UNFORTUNATELY, under no circumstances do i support doxxing / threatening him and his family (including his pregnant wife), and if you believe they deserve that for simply donating to a political party (and again, stating outright he does not agree w/ some of their policies) then thats fucking insane, disgusting and i dont want to ever interact with you. on that note, i also believe this fanbase needs to calm the fuck down. you need to understand people will have different political beliefs from you and if you dont want to support someone who has a different one from you is fine, but sending death threats and doxxing a man and his pregnant wife and kids is not okay.

so, tl:dr - im still going to interact with fnaf and will probably still finically support it in the future, bc i believe Scotts political beliefs are not my business until he starts using his platform to spread racist / sexist / queerphobic / etc rhetorics, which he has not done w/ the platform he built from fnaf as far as i know. however, i respect people who decide to do the opposite, but i also think doxxing and threatening him and his family is not okay.

anyways. back to your regularly scheduled funny shit

edit: one of my fav fnaf youtubers posted a video on the situation which i think summarizes it all well and he was very respectful about it and made some good points i didnt touch on, so if you want to see a prominent figure in the fnaf community talk of it i suggest watching his video down ive linked below. :)