【零玖】WHEN SHE SMILES

chapter 9.
when she smiles

"I HATE MEN," Kate declared.

"What now?" Molly said with a mouthful of fries.

"Liam ghosted me."

"Which one is that?" Molly asked.

"The Tinder match with the tattoo sleeve."

"Aw bummer," Molly said. "He was cute."

"What happened to Grace?" Reagan asked.

Kate banged her head against the table. "Apparently, she doesn't want a relationship, but she wants to 'keep seeing me'." She rested her chin on the table and looked up. "What the fuck am I supposed to do with that?"

"Stay if the sex is good, ditch if it's not," Molly advised.

"Oh it's so good," Kate groaned. "Best I've ever had."

"You're kidding," Molly's eyes widened.

Kate pressed her lips together in a pained smile and nodded.

Her phone rang suddenly and she jumped to her feet. "Oh shit! She's calling me!" Kate let out a small squeal, "I'm going to take this. Bye guys!" She waved at the two of them as she picked up and rushed away.

Reagan and Molly looked at each other.

"She's basically in love," Molly said, rolling her eyes.

Reagan often wondered what it would be like to be in love. It was a strange concept, one both her and her mother avoided at all costs.

"You want to do something this weekend?" Molly asked, popping more fries into her mouth.

"Like what?" Reagan said as she picked at her pasta.

"Beach day?" Molly suggested. "I got a new bikini and I can't wait to wear it."

"Sure."

"Hey bitches," said one of the two shadows that suddenly loomed over the table.

When Molly saw who it was, she grimaced. "Ugh," she said in disgust. "What do you want?"

Jayden let out a dramatic sigh as he sat down and looked at Reagan pointedly. "See how she talks to me?"

Asher followed his lead and sat beside Reagan, his shoulder brushing against hers. He nodded at her in greeting.

It had been weeks since they'd all met at that god forsaken party, and the boys often invited themselves to lunch. Reagan didn't know if she liked it or not.

Reagan shrugged, "You probably did something to her."

"Oh I did many - "

"Anyways," Molly interrupted quickly. "As I was saying, Reagan and I are going to the beach this weekend. Right?" She fervently looked at Reagan, begging for a response. "Saturday?"

"Uh, yeah," she said, blinking at Molly's sudden anxiousness. "I guess."

"Great!" Molly clapped her hands. "Can't wait!"

"Cool," Jayden said, grabbing some of Molly's fries. "What time?"

"We didn't invite you," Molly said harshly, waving him away. She smiled innocently across the table at Asher. "Asher, you're free to come, of course."

Asher laughed as he unwrapped his sandwich. "Thanks, Molly. I'll be there."

Jayden huffed. "This is bullying." He slammed his fist down on the table. "I'm coming anyways."

"Stop inviting yourself to places you're clearly not wanted," Molly muttered. Then added, "You can only come if we ride your car."

Jayden grinned, "You can ride more than - "

"Jayden!" Molly screamed. She looked around the table nervously with a small smile. "Your car," she stared at him like she was threatening him. "We're taking your car.

Jayden, completely indifferent, reached for more fries, "Yeah sure." 

Reagan and Asher looked at each other.

"Awesome," Molly said, slapping Jayden's hand away as he reached for more fries. "I'll text everyone the ticket details."

"Don't forget about me," Jayden said.

"I just might," Molly hissed back, still glaring at him.

"Are you skipping work that day?" Asher asked Reagan, lowering his voice to speak privately to her while the other two continued to bicker.

"Yeah," she replied. "It'll be my first day off in a bit."

"Probably for the best," he said. "Your exams are over this week right?"

"Mhm."

"I have my big Bio one next Monday," he mumbled. "I'm absolutely fucked." 

"So maybe you should study instead of going out on Saturday."

"Damn," he teased. "You don't want me there or something?"

"I could honestly care less," she said plainly, continuing to play with her pasta.

Part of Asher knew she was joking, but the other part didn't doubt her at all. Sometimes Asher wondered if she cared about anything at all. They had spent every weekend for the past month together at the library, and yet Asher still had to brace himself for the coldness in her tone.

"Whatever, just promise to help me study on Sunday," he persisted.

She closed the lid of her pasta box and looked at him.

"Sure," she said with a simple smile, before standing up and walking to the trash can.

Asher noticed that Reagan always had a small smile on her face. Most times, instead of answering, she would just give that same, simple smile. The corners of her glossed lips would lift by just the slightest, creating a small crease at the edge, and yet the gesture was not matched in her eyes.

Those eyes were always haunted by some kind of emptiness, and when they looked at him, it felt like they were looking right through him. Sometimes, Asher couldn't stand to meet her gaze.

He realized the more he saw that distanced smile of hers, the more he learned to dislike it.