Harry is apparently 'Hairy'?

I normally advocate for writers having complete control over their own story and that means spelling names however they want but fanfics don't get that same luxury, in my opinion.

If you're writing a story using borrowed characters that means the names are already have a certain spelling. The worst offense for me is found in One Direction and Harry Potter (Harry Potter is the worst, since Harry is actually in the tile) fanfics.

Harry is spelled with an extra 'r' not an 'I' but when you spell it "Hairy" it becomes a whole different word. Harry means as a word: "Persistently carry out attacks on" and as a name it has royal roots and means: " Chief of House or Head of Army". Hairy is an adjestive that means"covered with hair, esp. thick or long hair". There is quite a difference there.

If someone named their child "Hairy" they better be rich and can afford a lot of therapy for the damage done by playground bullies', just saying. 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitions from : Dictionary.com and Babynames.com.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my thoughts and annoyance with weird name spellings. Maybe I'm biased because my parents spelled my full name opposite of how it's pronounced, or maybe I just don't like adjusting my eyes to reading a character I already know but with a different name spelling. :)