Chapter 15: Flight Pt.1

Start from the beginning

At the same time, an idea formed in my head. If Luke was so riled up, it would be so easy for me to expose his plan to the rest of the crew. But how was I going to-

I glanced at Percy, saw the gleam in his eyes, and smiled to myself. 

Smart kid. 

"You've been toying with us ever since the beginning," Percy said, glancing at the swimming pool and the rainbow from the mist. "You wanted us to do all the dirty work for you." 

"Of course, you idiot," Luke scowled, his grip tightening on his sword. "And now you've messed all of it up!" 

I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing as he chucked a golden drachma straight at Luke, who dodged it easily. I casually twitched my fingers, sending a slight breeze to carry it straight into the spray of rainbow-coloured water. 

"O goddess, accept the offering," I murmured under my breath, pretending to half-draw my sword at the sudden projectile that had been hurled at Luke. 

"You tricked all of us!" Percy yelled. 

Oh boy. This guy was going to be a superb actor when he got older. 

"Even DIONYSUS AT CAMP HALF-BLOOD!" 

The fountain started to shimmer behind me and Percy uncapped Riptide, the three and half-foot long blade blazing into his hand. 

Perfect. 

I threw my dagger, the blade sinking up to the hilt in the deck at Percy's feet. All eyes were focused on the two of us as I stepped forwards. Good. "This is not the time for heroics. Drop your sword." 

"If you don't, I'll just kill you," Luke sneered, his temper at the end of the string. 

Percy ignored both of us, though his gaze flicked to me for a brief moment, his eyes unreadable. "Who poisoned Thalia's Tree?"

"Of course it was me," Luke hissed. "I told you already! I used elder python venom, fresh from the darkest depths of Tartarus!" 

Sometimes, things were just too easy. 

"Chiron had nothing to do with it," I added, fighting down my grin. "As if the old fool would ever have the guts." 

"You don't even get the half of it," Luke sighed, raising his blade. "I was going to let you have the fleece. . .  once I was done with it." 

Wait, what? 

I froze momentarily in shock, though I knew my face was still schooled in a mask of neutrality. Inside, though, it was anything but.

Why the heck would Luke even bother giving it to them once he healed Kronos? Why would he do that? 

Was there a specific reason he needed Thalia's tree to survive? 

Thalia. 

A bolt of shock ran through me, anchoring my feet on the deck as understanding washed over me. 

Thalia. 

The fleece was known for its magical healing abilities. Were its abilities so strong that it could bring someone back from the dead? Was that why Luke never had the intention of keeping the fleece? 

Did he want Thalia to come back? 

I was drawn out of my shocking realization as Percy's words reached me. "You were going to use it to heal Kronos."

"Yes!" Luke snarled, completely unaware of the wave of terror and apprehension that rippled through the gathered demigods. I risked a glance at Nicole, and Ally, who weren't quite able to hide their surprise at the news that Luke had so far forbidden me and Alabaster from telling the rest of the crew. 

"And so you poisoned the tree, betrayed Thalia, and set us all up, just to help Kronos destroy the gods," Percy finished, the tone of satisfaction beneath so strong I was surprised no one else detected it. 

"You already know all that!" Luke said, a muscle feathering in his jaw as he clenched his teeth. "Why are you asking me useless questions?" 

"Because I want everybody in the audience to hear your treachery for themselves." 

"What audience?" I snapped in fake ignorance, pinning Percy with a glare. 

Luke and I both spun around at the same time as everyone else glanced towards the fountain, and gasped, stumbling back. 

I didn't move, keeping my face blank as Dionysus gaze strayed towards me for a brief moment before turning back to Luke, who was almost vibrating with anger as he took in the sight of the god, Tantalus, and the entirety of camp sitting in the dining pavilion in stunned silence. 

"Some unplanned dinner entertainment," Mr. D said sarcastically, brushing an imaginary crumb off his shoulder. "How pleasant." 

"All of you heard Luke," Percy said from behind us. "It's not Chiron's fault." 

"I suppose it isn't," Mr. D sighed. "Oh well. Chiron will be reinstated as activities director. Your services are no longer needed," he continued, speaking to Tantalus just as he grabbed a cheeseburger from the table, cackling in delight. 

"What?" Tantalus said, his glee replaced by shock. "But-" 

"Dismissed." 

A cry of dismay followed as the image of Tantalus disappeared, his cheeseburger falling back onto the plate. 

And, in true camp fashion, cheers exploded from around the pavilion, just as Luke's sword flashed, dissolving the Iris message. He spun to face Percy with deadly, murderous rage, and I fought the urge to flinch. If I didn't do something, Percy could very well die today. 

I could see that Percy had arrived at the same conclusion, whatever satisfaction he'd gotten from that Iris message fleeing into the wind as Luke stepped forwards, smiling cruelly. He made a motion with his free hand and Alabaster pulled out a brass whistle, blowing into it. 

A short piercing sound carried out, reverberating across the dock, and the back doors to the deck burst open, a dozen more monsters pouring out, spears at the ready. 

"You'll never leave this boat alive," Luke said, his smile razor sharp. "Kill them all." 

***

Thank you for reading and don't forget to hit that star, comment, and follow for updates!