1 ~ Pain

Isabella's POV ~

Pain.

That's all I've ever known.

I used to think that abuse was a normal thing for everyone. Well at least that's what she told me, but nope, she lied. She made me believe that everyone goes through abuse just so that I wouldn't snitch. Some mother she is.

I lived with her my whole life. I had a happy childhood filled with love and happiness. Ha. Yeah no that didn't last long. Mother first hit me when I was 5. 5 years old. Like Jesus who does that to their own kid.

I was 10 when I realized what she was wrong. It was when my best friend, Noah, found out about the abuse after he came round my house only to find my 10 year old self bleeding out in the living room.

He obviously called an ambulance and they came to take me to the hospital. I begged him not to tell anyone and he didn't, however he did make me promise that I would go to him whenever I needed medical help. And that is exactly what I did. I don't think I'd be alive today if it weren't for Noah, he's saved my life more times than I can count.

Right now I'm lying on my bed, well my old, moldy mattress I'm forced to sleep on. I'm just praying to whatever God is out there that my mother isn't up yet. I haven't cooked her breakfast yet and I will surely get a beating by her if she's up.

I slowly started creeping out of the attic and down towards the stairs.

"Get me my drugs! I need more!", I heard someone shout from the kitchen. Shit. She's awake. I mentally prepare myself as I start to make my way into the kitchen. Beer bottles are scattered around and the strong smell of alcohol fills my nostrils.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't sleeping beauty. Did you have a good sleep?", she darkly chuckles from the counter. I lower my head to the floor, frightened of what's about to happen. "I asked you fucking question!", she yells at my face, now inches a way from me. I flinch back at the sound of her voice. "Aw is the little baby scared?", she coos.

She forcefully grabs my chin before a loud slapping sound fills the air. Shit that hurt like a bitch. I feel another kick to my stomach and another to chest. Well that helped my already bruised ribs. Ha note my sarcasm. She pulls my hair before for chucking me onto the cold surface of the kitchen floor. I hit my head with a thud.

"Get up and go to school you dumb slut.", and with that she leaves for her bedroom, and I am left once again bleeding on the floor.

Once I manage to stand up, I limp over to my school bag and head out the door. The ride to school isn't too long, maybe 10, 15 minutes? It was a nice day today, bit chilly but nice none the less. Texas has nice weather nearly all year round, so even February has nice weather.

I arrive at school looking around the parking lot for Noah, he might need to help with my cuts and bruises. "Bella!", someone yells from the school doors. I turn around to see Noah. I have to say Noah is pretty good looking, he has light brown hair and piercing blues eyes. I would never date him though, he's like a brother to me. Since I have no siblings he always looks after me like brothers and sisters do. He's never had any romantic feelings towards me and agrees that I'm basically his sister.

"Bella, oh my god are you alright? You're limping!", Noah says panicking. "I'm alright Noah. I might need some help though. She wasn't easy on me this morning.". I'll be honest this wasn't the worst beating I've had, in fact it's far from the worst. The worst beating was done by my mothers friends, which in turn lead to me being raped. At 12.

Noah's face is filled with concern after he heard me speak. "Right lets clean you up then.". He leads me into the disable toilets and begins to clean up some cuts and puts cream on my bruises. I still hadn't shown him my thigh. There was a huge gash in my leg from where mother had stabbed me with beer bottle.

After I was cleaned up we headed to our first period, AP English. I'll be honest, I'm quite smart, however my attendance is horrible after how many weeks I've missed from my injuries. The longest I've had off was after my mother smashed a beer bottle over my head. Mother took me to the hospital because she didn't want me to die, so she said a bottle fell on top of me and smashed my head. I was unconscious for 3 weeks and in hospital for another 2 after.

I started to zone out after 20 minutes. God this is going to be a long day.

~~~~~

My other lessons were pretty boring I had bio and chem one after another. Ugh. And then Finances, which I'm in now. I have this class with Noah and Sadie. Sadie is my other best friend. We aren't as close as me and Noah but she's still like a sister to me. She also knows about the abuse and helps when she can.

Just as we were about to start a task an announcement was made by the principle. "Please may Isabella Jones report to the principle's office. Isabella Jones to the principle's office.". Sadie, Noah and I all share a look of concern as I grab my bag and head off to the office.

I was nervous. I mean I've never been to the principle's office. I keep myself shut off from everyone other than Noah and Sadie. I don't talk to other people a lot. I keep my head down and walls up high so no one can hurt me when they eventually turn their backs on me and leave.

As I enter the office Mr Marks, our principle looks at me with hint of sympathy in his eyes. Why on earth is he being sympathetic towards me?

To my left are two tall men, probably around 6'3 looking at me with cold expressions and on the other side are two police officers.

"May I ask why I have been called here sir?" I ask curious as to why I have been called. Mr marks looks at me as he says, "I'm really sorry Isabella, but your mother has been involved in a car accident and didn't make it. She was drinking and swerved into the other lane before being hit by a truck. I am so sorry for your loss."

I sit there emotionless. I don't know what to feel. Should I be relieved? I mean she abused me and she's finally gone. Or should I be sad? She was still my mother and a part of me liked to believed that I still loved her and I have no other family to go to? Does that mean I'll be put in the foster system? Dear god I hope not, I've heard horrible things about foster care. I mean it surely can't be as bad living with my 'mother'.

Three options here: one, cry and act sad, two, tell them about the abuse since the bitch is dead, or three no emotion.

I went for option C. Show no emotion. Keep your walls up and don't let them see what you're feeling.

"So am I going to an orphanage?", I asked bluntly. Seemingly taken back by my harsh reaction, Mr Marks simply replies with, "No. You will be living with your brothers."

"MY WHAT?!"

A/N ~ So what do you think? Who are those men and what will happen when she finds out how many brother she has? Let me know your suggestions! :)