Forty-four

[ 𝙵𝚎𝚎𝚕𝚜 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚜 𝚢𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚍 𝟷𝟿𝚔 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚜. 𝟿𝟶𝚔 𝚝𝚘𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝚞𝚗𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚒𝚎𝚟𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎! ]

Ava

"I'm happy to hear that you came out without any harm. I'm very impressed with what you did, Ava." Ms. De Luca expressed in a proud tone.

"Thank you." I smiled at her, feeling my cheeks heat up a tiny bit.

"You're going to be a perfect ruler of this cartel one day, sweetie." She said, taking a sip of her tea."She might even outrun you, Niccó." She cocked an eyebrow at her son.

I looked at him with a light chuckle. He squeezed my thigh as I was situated next to him around the dinner table.

"Don't give her any encouragement." He smirked, glancing at me.

I elbowed him in the side playfully, causing him to plant a hand over the area. His pout made him look like a little boy.

"I'm glad you're willing to put up with this. He wasn't always this sweet."

He put a hand over his chest, inflicting pain."It hurts me that you think so low of me."

"Oh please." She leaned closer to me."You should have seen him, always pushing people around and-"

"You know, despite the interesting turn this conversation is taking we have to get going, mother." James interrupted and raised up from his seat.

"See?" She uttered, causing me to chuckle.

He went around me to peck his mother's cheeks, and I stood up to embrace her.

"Tell Alesso we said hi," I said to her.

"Of course, sweetie. Drive safely, kids."

He shook his head to himself at her words as he waited for me to approach him. His arm snaked around my waist and we began walking out of the mansion. His hand alone was big enough to go halfway around my waist.

We had been here for almost two hours, just chatting with his mother. Despite it being Alesso's house, he hadn't been home. James just said that he had some business to attend to.

His mother was staying at Alesso's. She actually lived in Italy but had been here for a while now to check up on her family.

When we were both comfortably sitting in his car he started driving out of the gates. His hand quickly found its way to my bare thigh. The coldness of his rings made the hair on my arms perk up. I placed my hand over his, intertwining our fingers.

"I adore your mom," I said, looking down at our hands that were melted together on my thigh. His thumb rubbed circles on my fingers.

"I'm pretty sure my mother adores you too."

"You think?" I raised my gaze to look at the side of his face.

He chuckled.

"Are you kidding? She loves you more than she loves me and Alesso." He stated, meeting my eyes for a second before returning his attention to the road.