Twenty-one

Alesso

The first thing I saw when I entered my brother's house was the young woman, Ava. She was sitting on my brother's lap in the kitchen. She was smiling, laughing actually. They hadn't noticed me yet, just sat there and talked, gazing at each other. I have never seen my brother like this, so...soft. He was usually a strict and serious man, which was one of the reasons he was so feared and respected. And as a Don, you have to be.

I walked towards them and cleared my throat. Their heads snapped to me and a warm smile coated her lips.

"Alesso, good morning."

I nodded at her.

"Morning, Ava, Nicco."

Her brows scrunched together.

"What, why did you say 'Nicco'?"

She looked at my brother for an answer when I stayed quiet, not knowing if he wanted to tell her.

"Niccó is my birth-name, it's short for Domenico. James is actually my middle name, after my grandfather. But Niccó is mostly used only by friends and family."

I observed their conversation, not hearing a word, however. What was so special about this girl that my brother was so mesmerized by her? I mean there was no doubt that she was pretty. When I studied her face, her petite body, and the way her face lit up when she spoke, I actually came to the conclusion that she was much more than pretty, she was stunning.

"Alesso?"

I snapped my eyes at my brother.

"Yes?"

"I asked you a question." He looked at me, waiting for my answer with a slight frown.

"What?"

"How is it going with Sokolov?" He took a sip of his coffee.

I was surprised he was willing to talk about such stuff in her presence, I didn't think they were so serious. My brother was a very private person, not sharing his business with anyone who didn't earn to know. I guess it was different with her. I clenched my jaw, she's definitely becoming an issue, by being the center of his attention at all times.

"Good, the guys have been torturing him to get information, waiting for your orders," I shifted my eyes to Ava."But now I see why nothing has been happening."

Her smile was gone now, and she looked down. I noticed her tensing, probably uncomfortable by my sudden accusation.

"Scusa?"

(excuse me?)

"You know what I mean, Don."

He gently lifted her out of his lap so he could stand up. He walked towards me and I folded my arms across my chest. He on the other hand had his hands in his pockets.

"Is there a problem, Alesso?" He sighed.

I didn't want to tell him what I thought about their...' relationship'. I didn't want to tell him that he needed to be with someone from another cartel, supposedly to form an ally. Because he already knew this, that he should do it to strengthen his position. But I couldn't force him.

"No, forgive me. Just wanted to come here and tell you Sokolov's state, I should go now."

He nodded at me, still irritation in his eyes. I turned around and left, muttering a goodbye to Ava as well. I had to fix this, I will not let my brother wreck everything we have worked for, not for her.

-

James

When Alesso had walked out the door I turned to Ava again, she smiled softly at me from where she sat, but I could see her thoughts spinning inside her pretty little head. I sighed and stepped closer. When I reached her she looked up at me as I ran my hands through her soft hair.