Chapter 6

Six months.

Twenty-six weeks.

One hundred and eighty-two days.

That's how much time Kimbra had left to work with Bud Flud. The first month hadn't gone so well. The two often found themselves antagonizing one another or engaging in banter. She found it difficult to get any work done. How could anyone? Especially if you utterly despise the person you're working with.

This was such a terrible idea.

And yet Kimbra had hoped the following work day would be a breeze. 'All you have to do today is go over reports', Dr. Ainsley said. He swore up and down that not much was planned for her today.

That turned out to be far from the truth.

Three meetings, a survey, overlooking two tests, and having to speak with a few journalists from the St. Canard Newsletter, filled Kimbra's morning schedule.

And she still hadn't gotten to those reports yet.

The scientist let out an irritated sign as she glanced up at her office door for the eighth time.

What's taking her so long? She said 'be there soon' over an hour ago!

Kimbra grew impatient as she waited for Dr. Ainsley's assistant to bring her the weekly statistics reports. It felt like they came later each time. She didn't know why Ainsley kept the girl around. Things just fell further behind due to her incompetence.

Kimbra, be nice. She's doing her best and probably is as busy as you are. You wouldn't want someone talking about you like that, now would you?

She started to pick up the phone to dial the secretary's extension, but was interrupted before she pressed anything.

Dr. Ainsley opened the door without knocking, as he always did. It caught Kimbra off guard, as she assumed he had busied himself with the media. They hung around like vultures lately, wanting more information on the project, so they could have something to write about.

He smiled, looking warm and friendly as ever. "Hope you aren't too busy."

She set the phone back down. "No more than usual."

"I came in here for a reason... let me see." He stepped in as he tapped his chin.

"Sir the statistic reports?"

"Oh, that's why I came in here! Don't worry, I decided to take them for you."

Kimbra breathed out a sigh of relief. "Thanks."

"Think I'm starting to get up there in age," he chuckled. "Can't rightfully remember anything nowadays."

"You're not that old."

She still actually didn't know how old the reptilian was. Seventy? Eighty? It was a mystery, and Ainsley would never let his actual age slip. He says it's unnecessary information, something people have no need in knowing. They'd only use it against him somehow.

"There's no reason to go on lying," he brushed off Kimbra's compliment. "Flud will be here soon. Be a doll and show him how the pump system is going."

Kimbra tried her best to not sigh again. "Yes sir."

Anything to make the boss happy.

Dr. Ainsley glanced over out the window at the Flud Water billboard that was in view, looked at Kimbra, and smiled before leaving. He either found their feud amusing or was lightly teasing Kimbra over Bud.