XIII. all, for nothing at all

KARINA HAD BEEN in many battles. she'd fought against giants, large snakes, evil pirates— but nothing could compare to the battle that was happening right now. in the huge colosseum, with thousands of cheering ghosts, the god bacchus staring down at the two boys, and two twelve-foot giants looming over them.

fighting giants was one thing. bacchus making it into a game was something else.

karina felt completely useless as she watched her best friend and boyfriend standing alone against two giants. she felt utterly helpless, and guilt ate away at her aching stomach at the fact that there was nothing she could do to help them. it was one thing that she was injured in many spots, and that she couldn't fight even if she tried, but it was also the nymph that would bare her fangs at karina whenever she tried to brush her sharp claws away from her shoulder, so now she really couldn't leave.

ephialtes and otis attacked first. together, they picked up a fake mountain as big as the fifth cohort's barrack, and hurled it at the demigods.

percy and jason bolted. they dove together into the nearest trench and the mountain shattered above them, spraying them with plaster shrapnel.

karina unknowingly gripped piper's hand at the sight of the two boys' quick escape, and didn't even register it when piper squeezed her hand back just as tightly— both of their focus being completely on the battle in front of them.

the crowd jeered and shouted for blood: "fight! fight!"

karina saw the two boys talking quickly to each other, most likely trying to think of a game plan on the spot— which is one jason's best features. he was amazing at thinking on the spot. everytime they'd go on a quest together, jason would be the one who took charge of the spilt-second decisions, and the crazy, nearly impossible ideas that always seemed to work out somehow.

they charged out of the trench. as karina had expected, the twins had lifted another plaster mountain and were waiting for a clear shot. the giants raised it above their heads, preparing to throw, and percy caused a water pipe to burst at their feet, shaking the floor. jason sent a blast of wind against ephialtes's chest. the purple-haired giant toppled backward and otis lost his grip on the mountain, which promptly collapsed on top of his brother. only ephialtes's snake feet stuck out, darting their heads around, as if wondering where the rest of their body had gone.

the crowd roared with approval, but karina suspected ephialtes was only stunned. percy and jason had a few seconds at best.

"hey otis!" percy screamed. "the nutcracker bites!"

"ahhhhh!" otis snatched up his spear and threw, but he was too angry to aim straight. jason deflected it over percy's head and into the lake.

the two boys backed toward the water, shouting insults about ballet— which seemed to be kind of a challenge, considering karina knew that both jason and percy knew almost nothing about ballet.

otis barreled toward them empty-handed, before apparently realizing that a) he was empty-handed, and b) charging toward a large body of water to fight a son of poseidon was maybe not a good idea.

too late, he tried to stop. the demigods rolled to either side, and jason summoned the wind, using the giant's own momentum to shove him into the water. as otis struggled to rise, percy and jason attacked as one. they launched themselves at the giant and brought their blades down on otis's head.

that's her boys.

the poor guy didn't even have a chance to pirouette. he exploded into powder on the lake's surface like a huge packet of drink mix.