Chapter 8

"People do crazy things... when they're in love."

Nat gave Bucky a curt nod as she slowly closed the door. He stared at the closed door for a long moment, trying to understand the meaning behind her words.

Was she taunting him? Surely you couldn't have sacrificed your life unless you truly loved him. He started pacing back and forth as he talked to himself.

"You are, by far, the most stubborn person I have ever met," Bucky groaned, talking to your lifeless body. "If I say 'black', you say 'white.' You never listen. It's like you enjoy winding me up or something."

Bucky waited a moment as if he was expecting an answer, but you just lay there, motionless. He rounded the table in two long strides and hunched over you. He brushed your hair away from your face, combing his fingers loosely through your hair.

"It's a good thing you can't interrupt me," he said, a ghost of a smile curling his lips. "Now I can tell you how much I love you and you can't tell me how much you hate me."

He dropped a kiss to your forehead and closed his eyes shut. He finally had you all to himself, even if it was just for a second. As he moved away, he felt an intense pain in his chest, like someone had placed his heart in a vice grip and was applying pressure.

Bucky hissed through clenched teeth as something cracked open in his chest. The pain gradually faded and he relaxed slightly, wondering what just happened. He felt a flutter in his chest, something he hadn't felt in centuries. His heart began to beat again, hard and fast, sending warmth through his veins.

His eyes still closed, he felt a smooth finger trace the crease that had formed between his brows. When he opened his eyes, he found himself staring into your eyes. He looked completely lost and it made you smile.

"Hey."

"Hey," he parroted, completely flabbergasted.

Bucky gently helped you into a sitting position and had to hold on to you so you wouldn't fall. He sat next to you on the table and observed you warily. You gave yourself a quick once over and turned your head to look at him.

"You changed my clothes?"

"Nat did," Bucky almost choked on the words, then cleared his throat. "They were covered in blood."

You let your legs dangle over the side of the table and smoothed the skirt of your long white dress. A long silence settled between you. You braced yourself and brought up the subject that you both had been avoiding

"So, I was dead, but now I'm not," you said, glancing sideways at him. "I am a ghost or-"

"You were dead, but apparently..." he exhaled slowly and rubbed the back of his neck, grimacing. "I woke you up."

"How?" You felt him shift uncomfortably next to you.

"I kissed you," Bucky blurted out. "On the forehead," he quickly added when you raised a brow at him.

"You kissed me on the forehead," you repeated, frowning. "You can resurrect the dead with your lips?"

Bucky ducked his head to hide his blush. You looked at him and laughed softly, your smile threatening to split your face. You had never seen him blush before, but you definitely enjoyed the sight.

"True love's kiss," he said, looking up at you, then you started laughing quietly and his face fell. "You don't believe in true love?"

"I do, but I never thought I'd have one."