Chapter 3

A couple of weeks after the incident in the alley, you stood in line at Starbucks. While you waited, you glanced around the coffee shop. It was a typical busy day and the place was packed. You pulled out your phone and scrolled through your news feed to pass the time. Your eyes widened when you saw the headline.

"Notorious criminal dubbed 'Crossbones' found dead in cell."

When the barista called your name, you snapped back to attention. You took your coffee and found a table near the front door. You set your cup and purse down on the table and read the article. The last sentence sent a chill down your spine.

"...an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death."

You cursed under your breath. Your anxiety spiked so suddenly that your vision got blurry. You tried to calm your pounding heart, focusing on your breathing, when a man in his late fifties plopped down in the seat across from yours. You looked up at him, your eyebrows knitted together in confusion and annoyance.

"Mind if I take a sip?" He reached for your cup of coffee.

"Sir, I think you should leave," you warned firmly.

He giggled.

You had never heard a man giggle before. Your heartbeat returned to normal and you took a minute to observe the man. He smiled sweetly, flipping his imaginary hair over his shoulder.

"Long time no see," he said, propping his elbow on the table and resting his cheek on his hand. "It's dull when you don't play with us."

He pouted.

You sighed, recognising the Fury. "Okay, which one are you?"

"The cute one," he replied, grinning as he took another sip of your coffee.

"Wanda," you hissed quietly, "what are you doing here?"

"Aw, you think I'm cute." The man wiggled his brows.

"Nat would never call herself the cute one." You glanced around to make sure no one was listening. "Rumlow's dead. What the hell did you do?"

"The Lord crushed his heart." The man shrugged. "Why are you so upset? He was a piece of garbage."

"Because they're planning an autopsy!" You tried to keep your voice low. "Wanda, Rumlow doesn't have a heart, what do you think the coroner will say when they'll cut him up?"

"Relax," he sighed. "Why do you think I took the appearance of this white know-it-all dude? I used a scalpel, pretended to be in deep thought and said stuff like 'Cardiac arrest, he died on the spot.'"

"And that's it?" you asked and the man shrugged again.

"Yup. Life's easy when you're a white dude, and that's the gospel truth." He got up from his seat and urged you to follow him. "Come on, we have a new assignment. It's gonna be fun!"

You reluctantly grabbed your bag and headed for the doors. As you both passed the doors, Wanda shape-shifted back into herself. You scolded her, someone might have seen her using her powers.

You let Wanda lead the way while she explained the basics of your new mission. Your part was simple. All you had to do was find Captain America and beg for help. You didn't want to do it, but you couldn't say no. Your soul belonged to the Lord of the Underworld, you had to obey his wishes.

Once you reached an abandoned building, Wanda ran inside while you waited for the signal. People walked past you without paying attention to their surroundings. You crossed your arms and looked up at the façade of the building.