Bonus ♛ Li Xue (Final)

Start from the beginning

Ling Yao was confused. "I'm not looking for her."

"Oh." Was that relief she felt in her chest? "Well, why did you come?"

"To look for you, of course. I noticed how the noblemen were pestering you earlier and figured that you might need some help, which you did."

Her heart warmed at the thought of him watching her, and how he showed his concern for her wellbeing.

"T-thank you."

His brows lifted slightly. If he was surprised to see her thanking him so amiably, he didn't comment on it.

"Do you wish to return to the banquet?"

"Not yet. I don't wish to be attacked by those noblemen again." A tired sigh escaped her lips. "I-I just need to take a quick breather."

He watched her with a sombre expression. "As you wish, Your Highness. If you don't mind, I know a suitable place for you to rest peacefully."

A rush of excitement filled her. It didn't matter if it was inside the palace where she grew up and knew every nook and cranny like the back of her hand. Ling Yao, the most boring and remote man she knew, was offering to take her on a little adventure!

"Y-you do? Where? Show me!"

Her eager expression was more than enough to earn her a reaction from him; his eyes softened and his lips curled upwards slightly. He waved her over and began to lead the way.

"Follow me, Your Highness."

***

Li Xue was genuinely amazed.

The place that Ling Yao was referring to was a narrow strip of land underneath the long, stoned bridge that ran across the palace lake. They settled by the edge, sitting side by side. She gazed at the water shimmered in a brilliant blue colour, casually swinging her feet but barely grazing the surface.

She stole a sideway glance at the man sitting next to her. Worry creased her forehead.

"Ling Yao... Won't you be in trouble for not guarding my brother?"

"No," he answered quickly. "I've informed him before I left. And fear not, General Guo Jie is with him. Drunk or not, that man is still capable of fighting his enemies. Even in his sleep."

"What about you? You won't be able to defeat him?"

"Even me," he agreed. "I'm no match for him."

Thereafter, an awkward silence lapsed between them. When she could no longer stand it, she blurted out the next thing that came to her mind. "I'm surprised," she said, sweeping her arms wide to the scenic view before her. "I never knew you would care for a place like this."

"I came here a few times when work gets tiring," he explained before lifting an eyebrow and throwing her a questioning look. "Am I that boring of a person?"

Her honest, brutal words were out of her mouth before she knew it. "To tell the truth? Yes," she answered. Regret hit her immediately, which was why she decided to sweeten her next few lines. "B-but you aren't to be blamed for that! You're working hard for us, Lieutenant Colonel. I cannot thank you enough for saving my father's life at that time."

He lowered his head in a bashful manner. "It's my duty, Your Highness. You've thanked me far too many times."

"Did I?" she wondered out loud. "Maybe I did, but it's because I don't want you to feel that we aren't appreciating your effort."