Chapter Forty-Six

Start from the beginning

I nod, slowly, still unable to comprehend why I'm getting a ring. A wedding gift, perhaps?

"I was supposed to give you a proper proposal, even if after the engagement, but things just—" he shrugs, pulling the engagement ring off my finger. "I don't really have an excuse, but I wasn't supposed to ask you on that day, it just came out, and it wasn't really how I had imagined it.

"And then I didn't know when or how to give you the ring, so I'm doing it now," he completes, sliding in the new ring first and then the engagement ring. He kisses my hand, his warm lips soothing my nerves. "Do you like it?"

"Stand up, first," I tell him. It must hurt the knee to sit on it for so long. I scoot back on the bed, crushing the flowers under me, to make space for Arjun.

He stands up and sits on the bed, without a sound. I move closer to him and cup his neck, his skin hot under my cold touch. "Did you like it?"

"That is why I got it," he states, obviously.

I grin and kiss his stubbled cheek, before letting my head rest on his strong shoulder. "I love it, I love them both." I look at my finger with the rings, both complimenting each other. "They're both beautiful."

"Really?" Arjun asks, intertwining his fingers with mine.

I look up at him, with the same grin. "Really," I assure him.

He grins back at me. "You know, when I asked you if you'd marry me, that night in the gazebo?" he asks. I nod, the night still clear in my mind. "Didn't you think it was incomplete, without the ring? I kept thinking I'd done it all wrong. I had a plan, I wanted to take you out, get down on one knee and ask, do it all properly; the traditional way, but I couldn't keep it in that day and I ended up speaking more than I should have."

"Arjun?" I look up at him, my head still on his shoulder.

"Hm?" He looks down at me, his black eyes darting nervously between my own.

"I wouldn't want it any other way."

A genuine, full smile spreads onto Arjun's lips as his eyes shine with happiness, and for a moment, it feels as though the universe's existence doesn't compare to the magic that his smile is.

Though I want to kiss him right then, give myself to him in all senses; the first kiss we share after our wedding comes much later in the night when we're lying next to each other, talking about anything and everything under the sun, chatting and laughing and teasing— well, that him, more than me, as is usual— and amidst it all, simply enjoying each other's company.

For the first time that night, I feel as though I've always known Arjun and it's not because of the stories our mothers like to share.

I feel as if I've already spent a lifetime with him and know that despite how annoying Arjun is, he will be my safe space at the end of the day.

~.~.~.~.~

The next morning, I wake up because of the sun streaming into the room; taking the role of my mother, glaring at me to wake up.

"Arjun," I groan, pushing my face into my pillow and snatching Arjun's pillow from under his heavy head to completely block the light. "Close the curtains, please!"

I turn on my side, away from the light, and cover my face with Arjun's pillow. I can faintly hear the scratching of metal against metal and let the irritated scowl on my face relax. I toss Arjun's pillow away, and tug the blanket higher up on myself, relishing in its warmth.

However, my relief is short-lived; owing to the arse beside me. I first feel Arjun's heavy arm come around my waist, and before I can move his arm, Arjun brushes my hair to the side, off my back, and then comes the teasing touch. "I didn't know this was backless," he breathes, pressing a kiss against my back.