CHAPTER SIX

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out. Ease the throttle, go!

I drove around the Circuit Of The Americas for a lap before positioning my car for a Q2 flying lap.

Out of the last corner, I put my foot down, hearing the Ferrari engine scream louder and louder. Whenever my steering wheel flashed red, I upshifted and repeated this process.

I braked hard as I approached the top of the hill, and turned my car into the corner and as close to the curbs as possible. I got a good exit and carried much speed into the next curvy section of the track. I eased the throttle and steered my car left and right carefully without spinning. It was easier said than done.

Out of the corner and into the short straight. I got on the throttle as early as possible and braked late. I turned my car around the hairpin, and floored it. With the help of DRS, I reached a whopping 350km/h before the braking zone. That felt extremely amazing.

For the last part of the track, I made sure to brake as late as possible and hit every apex. Eventually I reached the pit straight. I repeated what I did at the start of this lap and soon crossed the line.

T: That was a 1.36.337. Currently in P2 after Leclerc. No need to run again. You can return to the pits.

M: Yeah! That felt good! Good job guys.

After my cool down lap, I drove slowly into the pits and my mechanics lifted my car into the garage.

My eyes were glued to the screens as Ember went for her Q2 flying lap. She nailed almost every corner, and her driving was almost perfect. Indeed, her lap time was a 1.36.789. The team clapped for her, and so did I.

The break was over, and it was time for Q3. I hopped into my car and made myself comfortable. Soon, the mechanics sent me out for my lap. I drove a slow lap around the track, but during that lap, I noticed the ride was bumpier than usual, and I felt more vibrations.

M: Uhh I think something's wrong with the car. It's vibrating like crazy.

T: Okay, box box, we are checking.

I groaned in frustration as Ember started her flying lap and I went into the pits. I waited in my driver's seat as my mechanics checked my car. I watched Ember's Q3 flying lap on the screens. Again, she had a flawless lap, braking at the optimal spot and hitting every apex. Her lap time of 1.36.525 pushed her up to P3, just behind the two Mercedes drivers. The team told her to return as they believe that's the best she could do and she needed some rest after a long day.

As Ember returned to the Haas garage and I watched the remaining time for Q3 tick away, my mechanics finally found the problem. Apparently, the bolts in my suspension came loose. They quickly tightened it with a spanner and put everything back together.

The team sent me out one last time with 2 minutes to spare.

I drove a warm-up lap and started my flying lap before the chequered flag was waved. I made sure to brake early and take a lot of curbs. Throughout the run, I kept full focus on the road not to make any mistakes.

That was a mistake on its own.

I was so focused on the road that I forgot to change the modes of my car on the steering wheel. By the time I approached the braking point of turn 12, the hairpin after the long straight, my rear tyres locked up and caused a little bit of oversteer. It was at this moment that I knew I messed up the run, but I couldn't do anything about it as there was no time left for another lap.