CHAPTER THREE

T: Radio check.

M: Copy

Tayla repeated our strategy for today. One warm-up lap, then a fast lap for Ember; another warm-up lap, flying lap for me.

I pressed the confirm button, and the team released me.

I pushed hard. And so did Ember. Our lap times were all under 1.32.000, and we were going to progress into Q2.

During the break between Q1 and Q2, the team fed us information. They went through the analysis of the track, and the possible improvements that we could try out sooner or later. Time flies, and when they were done, Ember and I were immediately sent out on track again.

1 slipstreamed flying lap for each of us, and our Q2 was done. We were safely out of the elimination zone, so we returned to the pits for the rest of the session... While watching others struggle.

"Hey Ember, great drive!" I greeted.

"Hi Mick, you too," she replied, "The car feels great! So much better than anything I've ever driven."

"It's a Ferrari!" I winked.

"It's not a shitbox and it does not drive like a pig, thank you."

We burst out laughing. In fact our laughter was so loud, the whole garage turned to look at us.

"Sorry," we yelled at the same time, silencing our laughter into small giggles.

It's time for Q3. Now the people competing were me and Ember, the two Mercedes drivers, the two Red Bull drivers, the two Ferrari drivers and the two McLaren drivers.

The team sent us out for our procedure of supplying each other slipstreams. They sent me out in front of Ember, so I would supply a slipstream for her first.

Ember crossed the finish line with a 1.31.987. She was currently in P3.

Ember and I swapped places, and we continued to another warm-up lap before my flying lap. I used this chance to familiarise myself with the track one last time before I started my flying lap. When we reached the chicane, to my surprise, Ember went into the pits.

M: What happened Tayla?

T: Ember has some minor issues with her car. Don't mind her, go on with your flying lap.

M: Copy that.

I floored the throttle as early as possible out of the chicane. I propelled myself across the start line and into the first corner. Through the S-curves, I carefully managed my input to carry the most possible speed without spinning out. The G-forces there were strong, but I was used to it from all the past races I participated in.

Out of the S-curves, in the distance, I saw an orange car. I assumed it was Lando's McLaren. And I seemed to be gaining on him bit by bit. No, I was gaining on him, fast.

By turn 8, I was already at his tail. He took it flat out, and I followed. But, as he turned into turn 9, he spun. I immediately slammed on my brakes, but I couldn't stop in time.

My car crashed straight into his. And we both slide into the gravel run-off area.

After my car came to a complete halt, I moved around in the cockpit, checking if there were any injuries. Thankfully, I didn't get hurt, indicating that I was fine. I unbuckled my seatbelt and removed the steering wheel.

Wait, the steering wheel...

I reconnected the steering wheel, and pressed the radio button.

M: So sorry guys.

Before Tayla even responded, I removed the wheel once again and used the halo to pull myself out of the car. Once I was out, I spotted an apologetic Lando Norris walking towards me.

Lando removed his helmet and scratched his head, "Sorry Mick. I didn't see you..."

I snorted, and gave him a death glare. Of course I was acting, but Lando didn't seem to know that. He just awkwardly looked at me. Ahh, typical Lando.

"It's okay Lando," I stopped acting and smiled, "Just apologize to your mechanics." I patted his back as we headed towards the golf-cart-like vehicle used to bring us back to our garages.

"Do you need me to invite you for dinner?" asked Lando, "As a payment for the incident, of course."

"I don't need one, but I sure want one, thank you," I chucked, internally humoured by my own attention to detail.

Lando rolled his eyes. "Okay then, I'll bring George with me, okay?"

"Yes."

Qualifying Results:

Ham, Bot, Ver, Lec, Per, Wil, Ric, Sai, Msc, Nor, Vet, Alo, Gas, Rai, Gio, Tsu, Rus, Oco, Str, Lat

Oops. This chapter is a little short. But do vote and comment please. Thanks!

Chequered Flag | FORMULA ONE (COMPLETED)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें