Chapter 1

When Stars Align

Disclaimer: Characters and events that refer to the Harry Potter series belong to J.K. Rowling. New characters and the plot are my creations.

Years of unrequited and forbidden love can change a man's course of life in unexpected ways. Now a recluse and a workaholic at 25, Draco Malfoy spends his days without much to be excited for except when he dreams of the life he could have. With years to reflect and become his own person, Draco knows what he wants: a family of his own where he can find and give unconditional love. When he sees an opportunity that could fulfill his desires, would he finally be able to seize it and start living the life he dreams of?

Chapter 1

For all his life, Draco Malfoy led a life not entirely his own. As an impressionable child, he followed the philosophies of his family's blindly, believing in the superiority of his pure Malfoy and Black lineage. In his formative years, he consolidated his bigoted ways with only fellow Slytherin peers to provide input. Although he had his fair share of haters, he was always feared and/or revered by the ones that mattered. For Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter's success in defeating the Dark Lord served as a rude awakening. This monumental event had completely shattered the world he had lived in, into one that he was not welcome by virtually, anyone. As a blood traitor and former death eater, he found himself bereft of his already limited number of friends, peers and acquaintances. 

While Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy spent thousands of galleons funding various restoration projects in the hopes of rebuilding the tarnished Malfoy name, Draco Malfoy kept his distance from wizarding society. When his life for all he knew fell apart after the end of the war, he had felt resentment towards the world, his parents, and mostly, himself. His only reprieve and salvation throughout the years were his extensive collection of books-wizard and muggle alike-and his job as a Potions Master creating potions to treat illnesses. Draco lost himself in the world of books; expanding, questioning, criticizing, postulating and reflecting on his life. He for once, did not have to fear judgment, which had been a constant burden. Through books, he learned to think for himself and to become his own person. Perhaps this was why his relationship with his only loved ones was rendered precarious--

"Dear, why don't you visit us more often and when will you invite us over to your flat? It's been over two months since we've had dinner together and you've never invited us over to your place since you moved out four years ago." Narcissa, though remaining cool and composed for the most part, questioned Draco. 

"Mother, I have been busy heading a project at the potions lab. You know how busy it is all year round. Besides, my flat is not noteworthy. It's just a place to work and sleep." Draco, trying to steer the conversation towards safer directions, asked: 

"What about you mother? Any new balls or soirees you are hosting this season?" 

"Draco, do not try to change the subject. You never talk about yourself anymore. What about your friends from school or work? I never hear of you going out. It can't be healthy being cooped up in your flat." Narcissa replied, agitated.

Truth be told, his mother was not wrong. He never talked about himself anymore. He had changed too much from the little boy that resided at the Manor, so much so that he was sure that the only way to salvage the relationship he had with his parents was to navigate only the most mundane of subjects. 

"Your mother is right, son. As the sole heir to the Malfoy family, it is time you make more regular appearances in society and form powerful connections. I know that the aftermath of the war has not been easy, but some of the pureblood families have forgotten about the past. In fact, I have been in discussion with the Greengrass family for a possible arrangement. As my heir, it is about time you settled down and took over responsibilities." Lucius said, in a solemn manner.

This was precisely why Draco avoided family dinners as much as he could. He had no interest in marrying another pureblood. He had no interest in an arranged marriage either. However, Draco was interested in starting a family of his own, albeit worlds different from the family his parents were envisioning. 

"Mother, father, I actually am looking into starting a family. Let me take care of this. Do not get into any agreements with any pureblood families. I won't concede. This matter will be my choice and I am sure that you both will be hearing some great news this year." Draco was firm and relentless, while weaving in words to placate his parents.  

Narcissa and Lucius exchanged surprised glances. This was big, coming from Draco. 

With a delighted smile, Narcissa said: "What wonderful news, Draco! We only were trying to act on your behalf since it seemed you were not eager to take on the role. Alright. We will be looking forward to hearing the good news soon." 

Lucius, a bit more skeptical, replied: "If we do not approve, son, we will talk. But you bring her and we'll see." 

Narcissa and Lucius could never in a million years, expect who Draco would bring to meet them. Draco was determined to keep it a secret for as long as possible.