Part 7

REAVER CARAVAN -- OUTSKIRTS OF OKLAHOMA CITY -- DAY

THE CARAVAN OF REAVER VEHICLES is parked in a large paved pull-out area, like a weigh station or rest stop. Local police wave traffic past, clearing the way for--

A FLATBED TRUCK approaching with a police escort. THERE IS A HUGE BOX STRAPPED IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK.

CLOSE ON -- PIERCE, looking from the arriving flatbed to --A HELICOPTER growing larger in the sky.

REAVER CONTROL TRUCK -- CONTINUOUS

Beaten, burned, and shaking, confined in the back, Caliban hears the approaching chopper and peers out through a security window, watching--

The helicopter land on the blacktop. He shifts to a second window to see a better view of--

THE RED-HAIRED MAN FROM THE LAB, as he steps out of the chopper and heads directly to Pierce. A silent movie as Pierce gets his ass handed to him.

Caliban's attention shifts back to the first window as--

THE FLATBED TRUCK pulls up next to the control truck. Its HANDLERS look nervous. Inside the big box strapped in back, there is some sort banging, then a low guttural screaming.

Now, the Red-Haired Man, carrying a medical case, approaches the flatbed and opens the back hatch, disappearing the big box. The screaming subsides.

Caliban collapses to the floor. Closes his eyes.

FARM COUNTRY HIGHWAY - DAY

As the pick-up truck passes a billboard that reads

WELCOME TO CORN COUNTRY: HEART OF AMERICA.

Fields on either side of the endless ribbon of road. In the fields are HUGE AUTOMATED THRESHERS/HARVESTERS. The machines are several times bigger than what we see on farms today.

PICK UP - FARM COUNTRY HIGHWAY - DAY

As Logan navigates the pick-up through what looks like a canyon of big trucks. Laura stays laying down on (Y/N) and daydreams, while staring at all of them.

One of them inches over and Logan is almost run off the road.

LOGAN: Hey--

He hits the HORN, looks up at the driverless truck cab as he pulls around.

LOGAN: IN YOUR OWN LANE, ASSHOLE!

CHARLES: Language, Logan. And you're screaming at a machine.

Logan flips off the truck anyway as he passes, gets clear of all of them. Logan sees Charles shake his head.

LOGAN: What, she can gut a man with her feet, and he can burn people alive, but they can't hear naughty words?

CHARLES: They can learn to be better.

LOGAN: You mean, better than me.

CHARLES: Actually, yes. And by the way, Laura's foot claws are an obvious result of her gender. (Off Logan's look) In a pride of lions, females are caregivers of the young and hunters of the pride, they have front claws to hunt and foot claws for defense. Hey, use the foot claw to strike the belly or bladder of the attacker, thus ensuring their escape and survival. (Y/N) is something beyond mutant and human limitations that could never be broken but has something unique that makes him protect Laura.

Laura takes this in, turns and looks at (Y/N) and sees him playing with electricity in his hand, she smiles and kisses (Y/N) on the cheek with a blush, and (Y/N) processes it with a blush. Logan sighs and drives on.