Part 6

BAR - MOMENTS LATER - DAY

Logan sits, glancing at the television news, sipping a highball as he stares at one of Laura's UNCANNY X-MEN COMICS. The images weigh on Logan. He downs his drink and shuts the comic, then he sees another XMEN COMIC.

His face becomes grim as he stares at THE COVER. It features a DRAMATIC MUTANT TREK INTO THE MOUNTAINS. The title: "EXODUSTO EDEN!" A subtitle: "MUTANT TRAIL OF TEARS!".

On the cover and pages to follow, THOUSANDS OF MUTANTS, FLEEING OPPRESSION, UNDER ATTACK, headed for a place called "Eden" in a vast wasteland. They're being led by XMEN, among them Wolverine and Xavier. Wolverine in his yellow suit.

LOGAN: Jesus Christ...

Logan turns the page where it is revealed-- "EDEN" IT'S HIDDEN COMPOUND. On top of a cliff. Mutants are there, young and old, thriving. Text in a panel reads--

"AMERICA, NO LONGER SAFE FOR MUTANTS! OUR HEROES FIND REFUGE IN EDEN: LAST STOP ON THE MUTANT UNDERGROUND TO CANADA!"

AN INSET ON A SPLASH PAGE SHOWS A MAPPING DEVICE IN XAVIER'S HAND. On the screen, a series of numbers, coordinates.

Logan blinks, looking at the cash envelope he got from Gabriela. The exact same numbers are scrawled on it below the fire road address. Logan glares, taking in the bald fact that Eden is an imaginary place in a forty-year-old comic book.

Logan: 'you gotta be fuckin' kidding me.

BARTENDER: You want a refill?

Logan looks up, still dazed. He shuts the comic.

LOGAN: I'll take the bottle.

BARTENDER: (smiles, slides it) You passing through?

Logan nods. Puts down a large bill.

BARTENDER: Where you headed?

LOGAN: I don't know.

OKLAHOMA CITY CASINO/HOTEL - VALET - LATE DAY

Logan lurches the new used pick up to a stop at the hotel entrance. Gets out and does not give the keys to the Valet--

VALET: Sir? Are the keys in it?

That's when he sees-- A MAN WITH A PROSTHETIC (CYBORG) HAND standing at the entrance, talking in a cell phone.

Alarmed, Logan rounds the corner, moving past--

A HOTEL GARDENER with a hedge trimmer, touching up a shrub. Looking for a side entrance, Logan passes other patrons, but as he does, he clocks--

BLACK VEHICLES parked in a service entrance. And that's when it hits-- A RINGING SOUND. A SCREECH and Logan turns to see, CARS CRASHING INTO EACH OTHER ON THE STREET. He turns back to see the Worker unconscious on the ground, the hedge trimmer whirring and bouncing in the grass.

THE RINGING GETS LOUDER. Casino patrons are frozen in place, struggling to breathe.

REAVERS COMMAND TRUCK -- LATE DAY

We see LOGAN OUT THE WINDSHIELD as he moves toward the casino doors-- and we PAN TO--

PIERCE AND A REAVER ASSOCIATE at a command console inside the truck. But they too are PARALYZED FROM THE PSIONIC WAVE, CHOKING FOR AIR. In the background, a battered burned Caliban is also paralyzed by the wave, vibrating in his restraints.

We see on the console monitor, video feeds of body cams, quivering but frozen pictures of our hero's suite. We hear the sound of men struggling to breathe over the audio feed. Alarms are ringing.