chapter 4: fire

day 472

          marcus and i are playing in lee's old truck out in the field. marcus is "driving" and i'm sitting in the passenger seat watching him. marcus pretends to push all the buttons and press all the levers and he sighs. "maybe one day after we get out of all of this we can both get trucks and drive wherever we want together," i sign. marcus smiles and pretends to turn the steering wheel as if he was driving. i see lee coming towards us and poke marcus and point towards lee. we get out of the car through the window.

          marcus is pouting all the way home because he's frustrated with his dad. i was a little bit mad too. we were just playing around and having fun like normal kids. it was hard getting used to living like this. thank goodness i had learned some sign language before hand otherwise this would be difficult. we make it inside the house and down into the cellar where evelyn was. evelyn was setting up things for the new baby that will be born in a few weeks.

          a few hours later, marcus, regan, and i were glueing papers to the walls in the cellar to make it more soundproof. making the cellar more soundproof will hopefully give evelyn a little bit of silence to make some noise when she's giving birth. regan goes upstairs to help evelyn with dinner while marcus and i finish the walls. regan comes down and signs to us that it's time to eat. we all sit down and dig into our food.

          after we finished dinner, marcus, regan, and i played a game of monopoly. we played it on the rug in the living room to make sure we don't make sound. it was kind of dark so we lit a lantern next to the board so we could see better. marcus makes his move and when he's done he swiped his arm over and accidentally knocked over the lantern. the lantern broke, and then lit the carpet on fire. regan, marcus, and i ran away from the fire while lee put it out.  lee put the fire out and signed to stay quiet. the breaking of the lantern and setting out the fire made enough noise to attract the attention of one of those creatures

          a minute later we hear one of those creatures jump and crawl onto the roof. i jump, startled but stay still. a few minutes go by and we finally stop hearing any noise. relieved, i let go of marcus's hand, but i don't even remember reaching for it. i look at marcus and make eye contact with him and give him a hug. that was terrifying. i can't imagine what would've happened if i hadn't been with the abbott's.

          "it's time for bed guys," evelyn signed. i huffed not wanting to go to bed yet. we head up the stairs to get ready for bed. before i go into my bedroom marcus stops me and signs, "that was scary, i don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight. do you want to sleep in my room tonight?" "yeah, that was scary for me too," i signed. whenever marcus and i got scared we would sleep in each others room to feel safe
again. i always felt safe with marcus.

-
a/n
intense guys... please vote if u liked reading it helps a lot :))