Chapter Three- Grey Sludge and Searing Pain

Start from the beginning

The parchment was saturated from the rain, and the elegant script was smudged; hard to read. At the bottom, the note was signed and stamped by King Simon.

Was this what the royal family wanted with me? To kill my family, make me miserable, because I had broken the law? It was a petty law to begin with. I didn't understand why my family had to suffer. Maybe it was my punishment...

Understanding came over me. Paul never wanted this for my family. It's written clearly on his face. He cared for us, but to keep his job and earn money in this harsh world, he had to follow orders.

I sighed, feeling guilty that I had raises my voice at the man. "I'm sorry you had to do this, Paul. You were only following orders, but why does the King want me?" I whispered.

"I'm not sure, but don't you think it would best if you just came with us, without trouble?"

I agreed to go with the three guards. I stood leaving my mother's body where it was, smoothening out her ruffled hair, and walked over to Paul. He enveloped me into a tight hug as I cried into his crest. He rubbed circles into my back, trying as hard as he could to comfort me.

I couldn't move. I was gasping for air, as I hiccupped, so Paul, wrapped my Fathers cloak around my shoulders, pulling the hood over my head, and I hugged it to me tightly. My clothing was still saturated from the rain, so not only was I gripping the cloak for comfort, but also for warmth.

Figuring I couldn't walk, Paul picked me up, bridal style, and carried me outside, towards the horses.

It was still raining, so I ducked my head against Paul's back, when we climbed onto the horses. I could hear his low shallow breaths, as we rode through town, but the only thing that was going through my mind was the searing pain in my heart.

The burning inside of me increased, spreading through my body when I thought about my family, and it almost crippled me. Gasps of pain left my lips, as I wrapped an arm around myself. It felt like my body was about to rip in half.

I hadn't realized that my eyes were closed until, I felt a pair of hands wrap around my body, and my eye lids snapped open.

Paul looked up at me from the ground, in the stables, asking permission to take me down from the horse. I agreed, and slipped into his awaiting arms. He held me against his body, and I rested my head on his shoulder, and wrapped my legs around his waist. It's lucky that I had a small and frail build, otherwise Paul would be struggling right now, but my weight didn't seem to bother him.

No words could summon up the amount of pain that I was in. I couldn't talk. I couldn't move. I felt paralysed. Trapped, almost, in my own body, trying to claw my way out, to release the heart-aching scream that was bubbling deep in the pits of my sorrow, but in another way, I felt numb. It was probably because my body was cold from my drenched clothes, but my mind was in a daze, so I couldn't determine the difference.

The rain stopped, and I raised my head weakly, looking around the hall made out of marble. I had never been in the royal palace's walls before, and I had always dreamed what it'd be like, but my head flopped back to Paul's shoulder, as he continued to walk deeper and deeper into the castle's corridors.

Approaching footsteps came towards us, but I was too tired to see who it was.

"Is that another prisoner, Paul? Let me take...this off your hands" said a masculine voice, filled with disgust.

Paul's grip on me tightened. "No, actually-"

A whistle came from, I can only assume, the unknown man, and another two pairs of footsteps came down the corridor. "Don't be daft, Paul. You're sopping wet, and you're only going to catch you death staying in those clothes. Give the girl to the guards and I'll make sure to get you warm." I was suddenly lifted out of Paul's grip, but I had no energy to fight my way out if it. I hung limply from the two new guards that had an arm each in their hands.