Chapter 15

Overlooking the expanse of the city of Hastinapur, Panchaali stood in the balcony.

Beautiful as it was, the city many termites eating it up from within. A fact that hurt the new bride deeply, her conversation with Arjun played in her mind like a broken record.

His few questions, had given her answers that she in her emotional haze had overlooked.

"Yuvrani." Dhara called breaking her chain of thoughts, making the princess turn around to face her.

"Tell me one thing Dhara, who can stop them?" She asked, her voice soft, a deeper tinge of thoughtfulness laced her words.

Realization hit the maid, as she gazed at the new bride. She knew,  the wife of Pandavas was referring to the forced slavery that the Kauravas had instilled in lives of many.

But, what she didn't understand was. What  Panchaali wanted to do with it? She understood that the princess was hurt by the norms of Hastinapur.

But, they had been there for a very long time. And in all honesty, laws were made by men. Women just moved along.

The most a royal woman could do was request her husband to change them. Or make an exception for her.

And in this scenario, the pandavas were in cage, so there was no chance of Panchaali helping them in any way. So why was she asking?

Dhara failed to understand.

Confusion marred the face of the maid, "Uh... Mahamahim Bhism tried, and controlled it to a certain extent.

However, since King Dhritrashtr overruled Mahamahim's decision. It has a been a different story.

Now, if we are trying to understand who could stop them, than technically it was Prince Yudhisthir. As he is the eldest, and the rightful king, his words will be law.

Now, even he couldn't do a thing, as they are arrested. . ." She was cut off by the princess of Panchaal.

"So, what you mean to say that if the five were out, this wouldn't be happening?" Asked Panchaali, her voice distant and careful.

The maid nodded hesitantly. She watched, as the face of the princess lit up like the night sky on the occasion of Diwali.

She beamed, her body vibrating with excitement. "What are you thinking?" Asked the maid, carefully.

"Oh nothing, just stopping the wrong doings of the Kauravas." Panchaali stated, shrugging, her words so casual as though she was discussing the weather.

"Whattttt? But, women shouldn't meddle in men's work!" Dhara argued desperately. "Oh, but it is duty of the woman of the family to prevent her family from committing sin." She replied back evenly.

"Yes, but..."

"Are you saying that what my brother in laws are doing is righteousness?" Draupadi questioned, raising her brow in question.

"Of course not..."

"Than are you suggesting that I should let them sin? And not do my duty of a good sister in law by stopping them?" She fired another question.

"Of course not, but..." Dhara was yet again cut off by the princess of Panchaal.

"So, it's decided! The princes of Hastinapur and sons of Maharaj Pandu, shall be released." Panchaali's voice rang with a finality, Dhara gazed at her shocked.