Aftermath

Tissue warning: This one's gonna break your heart before it gets better. You've been warned. Not to worry, as is typical for me, if I break it I fix it. XO, Reddixon.

This was the second time tonight that Andy found herself leaning up against the brick wall outside Vic's family's restaurant. It was a comfortable summer night in Seattle with temps in the upper sixties, but she still felt a chill in the air. She wrapped her arms around herself for warmth and thought back over the last couple of days. They had been impossible...in fact, she couldn't remember having been on this much of a mental and emotional rollercoaster since her dad died. Andy guessed that was to be expected since it seemed her world was being blown up again.

Her and Robert had been pulled into the Chief's office for an investigation into Maya and the violation of protocol on a call earlier in the week. Maya had bravely violated the Chief's explicit orders and opted to rush a young, injured boy to the hospital on the engine. While Andy was proud of her friend for standing up and doing the right thing, she knew decisions like that had consequences. Doing something similar had cost her the captain's job under Chief Ripley. She'd hoped McCallister wouldn't be too harsh, Maya had grown into a good Captain and the Station was doing well, all things considered.

Andy had been dismissed from the meeting with Robert being asked to stay behind. Somehow he'd come out with a possible reinstatement of his rank and Maya on the chopping block. She was hurt and disappointed. It seemed that no matter what, Robert was always going to choose the job first. Over her and over friends that had become family. She'd watched it happen time and time again, but for some reason this felt different. Like maybe it was the last straw. It could be, because this time he said, what he did was for her, to save 19. But the reality was, she just didn't believe him. And coming to that realization was both sad and terrifying. How could she love a man and be married to a man that she didn't trust fully and sometimes felt like she didn't even know.

Lost in her thoughts, Andy didn't hear Robert approach. She'd wished she had because now she was trapped. There was no getting away. They were going to have to talk and she just wasn't sure she knew what could be said. Her anger towards her husband was still raging and when her temper flared she said things she'd regret later. That was a habit she hadn't exactly broken yet. Further, she was confused and just felt like she needed time and space to figure out where to go from here. "I don't have anything to say to you right now." Andy said angrily as she faced Robert.

"Maybe you can just answer this question," Robert began calmly. He was doing his best to diffuse things versus add fuel to the already raging fire. "McCallister said 19 was already on the chopping block because of budgets, Maya had been on his radar for months...he was ready to disband our firehouse. What should I have done differently, Andy? How should I have handled this situation, this split second decision so that I'm not at odds with my wife and maybe my entire team?"

"I don't know Robert, because I wasn't kept in the meeting. Who knows what was discussed between the two of you?" Andy replied quickly. Her voice dripped with venom. Yet another instance in her life where two men behind closed doors were making decisions about her future.

"So you're upset that you were dismissed?" Robert shrugged his shoulders in confusion. "I had nothing to do with that."

"Ugh," Andy sighed deeply. "You think I'm upset because I was excused from a meeting? Are you kidding me? I'm upset because from where I sit, you threw me, Maya and the rest of 19 under the bus so you could be a hero and save the day. How else does it work that you potentially get offered a job that isn't even open yet." Andy's eyes were wide and her hands were on her hips.

"Oh...so you're upset that you didn't get a chance at Maya's job, is that it?" Robert knew his words would upset her further, but her arguments weren't making much sense. She was clearly angry and he was tired of being her punching bag, especially when he didn't deserve it.