PART 28

HIS silken hair was set alight by the fragments of scattered light that irradiated his dormitory - the emerald of it piercing through the profound darkness , a light amber hue coming off from the lamp on his bedside

HIS silken hair was set alight by the fragments of scattered light that irradiated his dormitory - the emerald of it piercing through the profound darkness , a light amber hue coming off from the lamp on his bedside. He sat upon the duvet , spun from the finest emerald , cold sweat beading his forehead as his trembling fingers slowly opened up the letter from the envelope it had been contained it - after having broken the all too familiar violet seal stamped with the image of an albatross. The Frey family emblem.

He had not had the time to find out why Evanna's initials had been written as E.M.R instead of Evanna Genevieve Frey. Although the letter had crosses his mind from time to time , it had been stored away in his drawer until that evening.

As he slowly opened the bundle of fine parchment , his glistening mercury eyes regarded the envelope with curiousity. What astonished him to no bounds , was that the parchment was empty. Blank of any contents whatsoever.

Why would anyone send Evanna a blank parchment ?

He flipped it over and over , putting it by the flickering flame of the lamp - to no avail. Rising a brow , he produced his wand from his pockets , softly saying ,"Aparecium."

Almost immediately , elegant words handwritten in cursive began appearing on the parchment , washing ashore by ink the colour of ripened plums. His brows furrowed , expressions twisting into one of visible confusion as he slowly began to make out the words.

"Mistress Frey , 

                      Your job has been done. I hope you remember my payment.

Sincerely , 

Ailee Morrison."

What job ? What kind of payment ? And who was Ailee Morrison ? His head spun with questions - first as to why the letter was addressed with the initials 'E.M.R.' , second as to the identity of the letter writer - for they could have used a pseudonym - and lastly as to which job she had assigned to the person ? He racked his brain for the last name 'Morrison' , possibly some ministry worker. Draco knew most of them , having attended the Ministry parties with his family.

That was when it struck him. The Morrison siblings , all working in the Department of International Magical Cooperation. However , there was no one named 'Ailee' , among them - and all four of them had passes on in various accidents and cross-fires.

So who was Ailee ?

He drew in a calm breath , storing the letter away into his velvet encased drawers. With a low rumble , he closed it - and let his mind drift away , concentrating on a particular memory of Evanna and himself , a memory of them studying together two weeks prior in the depths of the library - a casual air engulfing them , although semblance conveying slight hurry as the OWLs were coming up in two months time , masked by the vellichor of weary books.