Chapter 14

Sakura had gotten over her cold in a couple of days and was now good as new. 

Sakura shifted. She wasn't surprised to find Itachi holding her in his sleep. Itachi had been out doing whatever it was he did till late at night the previous day. She had gone to bed early and had therefore not seen him when he arrived. 

Waking up to Itachi's arms around her was still strange. He always held her tightly to him, his arms around her waist. She felt so small in his hold like his body was engulfing hers. 

She moved around so that she was facing him. Sakura watched Itachi's face as he slept. He looked so calm and peaceful. She traced his face with her finger, in an almost inquisitive way. Truth be told, this man was starting to confuse her.

In what way, she didn't know. But he was confusing.

She sighed as she drew her hand back. He didn't appear to be waking up anytime soon. She turned back around and settled herself with her back to his chest. He still didn't wake up despite all her movements. The sun had not yet fully risen, she realized.

It would explain why Itachi was still asleep. He had likely only come back a couple of hours ago and would not be waking up anytime soon.

She'd just have to go back to sleep.

----------

Calloused fingers slowly traveled down the length of her arm. She lay still. A fluttering kiss was pressed to the junction where her neck met her shoulders. It seemed Itachi had woken up before her this time. 

Sakura didn't know how much time had passed, but it was now fully daytime. Sunshine was pleasantly peeking in through the curtains. She didn't know how Itachi noticed she was awake, but he circled his arms tighter around her and drew her closer to his chest.

"Did you sleep well?" He whispered in her ear, his voice husky from sleep.

She nodded her head, her cheek brushing against his. He suddenly lifted her up from the bed bridal style and she let out a startled yelp.

He marched to the bathroom with her still in his arms. "Let's get ready for the day then."

He showered with her and they ate breakfast together. They departed ways and she headed to the ladies' academia. She wasn't sure what it was he did but she'd heard he would often go on missions that involved killing others.

Growing up she had listened to most adults saying he was coldhearted and brutal. She hadn't seen any sign of this, however, so she didn't know if she should believe them or not.

-------------------------------

Hours later she sat at the edge of the engawa, her chin resting on her knees with her arms around her legs. It was dark out, so she sat watching the stars. It was late summer so the air was usually humid and hot during the day. It wasn't much better during the night, but it was tolerable.

She wore only her thin sleeping yukata.

She heard Itachi's footsteps as he stepped out onto the engawa to either join her or tell her to go inside. He quietly sat down next to her, so she guessed the former.

He too looked up at the stars. It was quiet for a while until Itachi decided to break the silence, "It's been more than a month since you have been living with me."

Sakura tore her gaze away from the starry sky to look at Itachi's face, waiting for him to continue. She wasn't sure where he was going with this.

"My mother wants to meet you." Itachi didn't even remove his eyes from the sky.

Queen Mikoto wanted to meet her? They had already talked to each other, although it had never been more than passing pleasantries. She didn't know if she was ready to talk to the Queen on a personal level yet.

Itachi continued, "Other family members also want to meet you." 

She stared at him. "Will they come here?" Sakura eventually asked him.

"No, there is going to be a reunion for the entire family in my uncle's home. We are going to travel there by next week." Itachi finally looked down at her and met her gaze.

Now that most definitely sounded intimidating. She was going to meet his entire family by next week.