Chapter 18- 1st Day

I looked around in amazement as I took in the tall ceilings and beautiful chandeliers, feeling too poor for this place as I wiped my somewhat-dirty shoes on the entrance rug, not wanting to track anything inside.

As I approached the desk, the front receptionist gladly smiled and said, "Hi! Name?"

"Uh-," I looked around, "Lani Vale- I mean- Sorry! Kalani Vale!" I giggled.

She semi-laughed just to be polite, then looked at me and tilted her head, "You aren't on the guest list... but you are on the employees list?"

"Oh! Yeah, right... sorry, I'm a little distracted today. Just got in. But yeah, I'm new and I'm supposed to be like a secretary or whatever?"

"An assistant?"

"Yeah, that's right!"

"Oh, yes of course! I'm gonna call some troopers down to escort you to Senator Organa's office, where you'll get the full scoop!"

"Who's that?"

She looked at me like I was insane, but kept her opinion to herself and said, "Y'know, your boss?"

"Oh, yeah that's right! I'm terribly sorry... my parents don't tell me anything."

She only nodded in response, as two troopers walked up and led me towards a lift, taking me upward and then out, towards the right, then a left, and on your left was a large door with a gold plaque on the wall next to it. Engraved in it, read, "Senator Organa".

I smiled with joy, filled with some sort of random wire of excitement by the name, as I was let in and quickly embraced and welcomed by an middle-aged man.

"Welcome, Kalani, correct?"

"Yes! Kalani!" I nodded.

He looked me dead in the eyes and smiled, as his face quickly dropped and wearily eyed me. Finally, he said, "You know, you look an awful lot like someone I used to know."

"Thanks," I chuckled, "I get that a lot."

"I can only imagine."

"So may I ask?"

"Ask...?"

"Who do I look like?"

"I don't see why not."

"Alright, well who do I look like?"

"A very young and wise Jedi. Her name was Ahsoka Tano."

"Ahsoka Tano..." I repeated under my breath, "Forgive me, but I live under a rock. May you tell me more about the Jedi?"

"Of course I can, however I can't assure you my information is as on point as when they talk about themselves. But they're warriors fighting for us, the Republic. Some of the most powerful are in our very generation. I recommend you read more on them. I have plenty of books in here about their kind that I took on to study so I don't do anything that may upset them." he chuckled.

"Oh, thanks," I kindly laughed back, "You know, I get that a lot. The whole, 'Ahsoka Tano' thing. I mean, I truly am sorry for the Republic's loss but don't you find it strange?"

"I mean yes... it can be. It's more crazy than strange. Your alike looks and ocean eyes, not to mention the distinct laugh."

"Laugh?"

"You'd see what I mean if you ever get to hear it-" he was interrupted by the dim lights on his ceiling started to glow lighter, as a small 'ding' was heard, "Come now! We must meet in the senate chamber for the meeting!"