Ch4

I chew on my nails as I anxiously pace my office for the millionth time, running through the numerous problems I have to deal with.

First on the list. My traitor. Mia spilled the beans on Jane. Jane was reporting to New S.H.I.E.L.D. Good job Mia, here's a promotion. Of course, that was idiotic of me. I should have questioned how Mia came into this information. I assumed she just followed Jane to her handler, but that's ridiculous.

Mia found out because she also works for New S.H.I.E.L.D. and they gambled Jane's life to get Mia to a position of power. I did exactly what I was supposed to. However, with any luck, Jacob will take care of her within the next two days.

Then I have to worry about the girlfriend. I reviewed both their files, trying to decide. Rachel Everstock. Been with us for nearly two months, hit it off quickly with Mia, and they became official about two weeks ago. It's quite possible that Mia's playing her, too. She's one of my field operatives, and like most of us- wronged by Hydra. She turns 17 next month, but spent ages 6-14 in a Hydra facility. Now she's my muscle, and works almost every serious field assignment. Full of valuable information.

But I've seen the way they stare at each other. There's something there. I could use Ray as leverage, try to blackmail Mia into giving up her operations. Then I'd kill both of them, of course. Mia's a traitor and Ray wouldn't stay with me after I tortured her and killed her girlfriend.

Of course, Ray could be with them too. There's no good way to do this. Ray's an excellent agent, if she can even be called that.

I'll let Jacob deal with Mia. He'll be jealous she got the job he thought he was destined for, know that I wouldn't do anything if he killed her, and decide it's the quickest way from point A to B. Ray is a problem for afterwards. A problem nonetheless, but not one for tonight.

What is a problem for tonight is the fact that James isn't back yet. It's well after midnight, and he's been gone almost nine hours. I make it a policy to avoid operations I don't need to, but he never takes this long for recruitment, especially without telling me he'll be out late.

I don't know the details of his plans. I never do. I trust him and usually I have no need to know, there's no risk. He hears about another kid holding a grudge against Hydra and seeks them out. If they've got powers he might take a squad, so I know who he's taking. But he didn't take anyone today.

I glance at my phone again, but there's still no notifications. I snatch the list off my desk and force myself to act calm as I head to the quarters, knocking on doors. I have a very, very small list of the people I know for certain I can trust. Whispered orders, not-so-gentle reminders to shut up and get dressed, and we're gathered around the entrance.

I glance at the five of us, four mutants that were tortured by Hydra, one with very little in the way of life experience but has no reason to betray me. Of my 27, this is all I can trust. We grab hands and I close my eyes, smacking away the grips of space and gravity from all of us. Three of the five keel over when we land, but no one vomits. I lean against an alley wall and press a hand to my forehead as they all collect themselves.

"Spread out, find James, don't. Get. Caught." I snap in a whisper. They nod, still bleary eyed, and are out of sight quickly. I straighten up and fight back the wave of exhaustion that comes with teleporting that many people as I wind through the alleys. I shift my weight around lightly on my feet, silencing my steps.

When I find him, if he's still alive, I'll kill him myself. This isn't how recruitment is supposed to work. He should be home already, and we should have someone to take Jane's room.

One of my mutants, a small girl with copper skin, appears in front of me. She can turn invisible, which makes her excellent for sneaking around.

"I found something," She whispers, grabbing my arm and turning both of us invisible as she drags me about two streets over. I glance around, unsure what I'm looking for, when her hand becomes visible in front of us and she points to a dark puddle. I frown at it in the dark, touching the corner with my finger. Sticky. Already clotting. Blood.