Chapter 3

-Dawn's POV-

"Mum, I'm home," I called as I opened the door.

"Whatever, how much did you make today?" She asked greedily.

"Only around three hundred gold." I told her as I hung up my coat.

"Only three hundred? That's a lot," she said with a small smile.

I already knew what she was going to ask.

"Now, give it all. I need to by something." She said, holding her hand out.

"What do you need?" I asked as I walked into the living room to see my sister.

"None of your business," she snapped at me.

"Mummy, I'm hungry," Leina half cried, had she eaten at all today?

"Shut up," Mother snapped at her.

"Leina, come with me," I told her gently, she ran over, and I lifted her up, setting her on my hip.

I ignored our mother as I walked into the kitchen.

"Want to know where I work?" I asked her as I opened the cupboard, empty.

She nodded, looking exited and adverting her gaze from the empty cupboard.

"Be a good girl and I'll take you there some day," I told her as I set her down, she squealed in excitement.

She ran to the door and went to look at the herbs I have growing outside. She ran her finger along the edge of one and I smiled at her.

She looked up at the darkening sky and walked back inside.

"I told you not to take her outside!" Mother yelled at me, slapping me across the face, hard.

"I-I," I stuttered, she's never told me that.

"Get out! I don't want you in my house!" She shouted.

My anger rose, how dare she? I pay for everything!

"Gladly," I snarled.

I ran up the stairs and into my room. Packing my bag wasn't hard, I threw in some clothes, toiletries, and some of the food I keep stashed under my bed before walking out.

Leina was being held back by our mother, tears streamed down her face, and I faltered, how could I just leave her here alone. Mother's glare was the only thing that kept me walking.

I didn't know where I was going, although there was a small park that the High Lord and Lady had built a little while ago, I could sleep on a bench there. I would sleep in my shop but that had a flower inside that only bloomed at night and would not be good for my health.

"What is a girl like you doing out at this hour?" A male asked from next to a bar, a wicked smile on his face.

I kept my head down as I walked past him; I didn't need this tonight.

"Oi! Stop!" He called after me, running to catch up.

I just walked faster to the point where I was almost running.

"You little whore! Come back!" He yelled.

I hurried away into a smaller road, which was packed with people. I tried my hardest to blend in, but my blonde hair stood out in the crowd.

"Don't run from me sweetheart," the strange male purred as he winnowed in front of me.

"Leave me alone!" I screamed as I slapped him, but he just laughed.

"You're cute, but don't think that will keep me away love." He said as he came closer, rubbing hit hand over where I had hit him.

I ran. My magic wasn't strong, useful for my job yes, but no help to me now. I tried my hardest to winnow away but I accidentally ended up inside some bar instead.

I hurried out, hoping he wasn't still following. My mother told me to go to somewhere busy if I was being followed, when she actually cared. The only issue with that was that it was still early, there weren't many people around.

The cold wind was blowing around my face as I ran, footsteps echoing behind me.

"Why do you keep running from me?" He purred as I slowed.

I couldn't run any further, he stalked up behind me, his breath on my neck.

"Leave me alone," I breathed.

The road around us was silent. You could only hear the occasional sound from the houses around us, the manors of the rich. I kept my back to him and took a deep breath

"Leave," I whispered, my temper rising.

"Me," I said at my normal tone.

I could feel something in my blood, boiling. Not with anger but another sensation. Magic.

"ALONE!" I yelled at I turned to face him.

The lights around us burst. Suddenly it wasn't so quiet anymore. The light from the lamps around us slammed into the male in front of me, throwing him back. He landed on the floor, unmoving.

'What have I done?'