Chapter 1

-Dawn's POV-

We were told to not go outside because there was danger in Velaris. I was told too late, as I am already outside tending to my vegetables and flowers. I love my garden, as much as I love my city.

Velaris has a special place in my heart. It's the place my family migrated to after the war when my father died. Now it's just me, my mother, and my sister. My mother hasn't been the same after she lost my father, her mate. She's been cold, heartless, not caring about anyone.

As I'm an adult now, I haven't been impacted by her change as much as my seven-year-old sister, who I fear will turn out the same as my mother.

The water I'm using disappears. The air turns cold. I can feel something wrong.

Clouds flooded the sky and the wind started howling. It was like winter come early. Our High Lord possessed a lot of power, but nothing like this. Was this the danger? What was doing this?

"You were told to stay inside!" Mother shouted form the kitchen window. "Come inside or no dinner for you!"

I didn't want her food anyway.

"Fine!" I shouted while picking up my gardening equipment and started walking inside.

Turning back, I saw it. My eyes widened at the sight, clouds blocked the sun, darkness spreading through the city. I sprinted inside.

"A- about," my sister said, trying to read the book in front of her.

"Go on Leina," I encouraged.

"About t- the Night Court," she said proudly.

"Well done!" I told her, smiling.

"Stop that, it's not like she'll be successful," mother chimed in.

"Like you can talk, she needs to know how to read," I mutter.

I wonder if I'll find my mate. If I find him, will he break me like father broke mother? Do I even want to find my mate?

I walk upstairs to my room and sit on the bed. Five years ago, the war against Hybern was fought, where Hybern was killed and Prythian was saved. I was fifteen when the news came to our doorstep in the Illyrian mountains. My father was dead, he died from injuries.

My world took a turn, moving since we wouldn't be supported by the army, needing to find new jobs since our old ones didn't exist. I became a herbalist while my mother became a stay-at-home mum, taking care of Leina.

My job wasn't easy, and I had to learn everything as I did the job, and when my mentor left, I became the only one in the shop. Now I'm twenty, taking care of my family, I wish my mother didn't solely rely on me to get food and money though.

I woke up tired as a result of sleeping restlessly. Memories flooded my mind as I remembered my old home and experiences in the Illyrian mountains. Being harassed by young Illyrians, being abused for being a maid, they traumatised me. My mother faced hardships too, being fae in the Illyrian mountains was not something I would wish upon anyone.