Chapter 7 || See You In A Minute, Red Eyes

Your POV

I watch as Shuri scans Vision's body and observes a holographic diagram of the stone.

"Woah," I marvel as she stares in astonishment.

"The structure is polymorphic."

"Right. We had to attach each neuron non-sequentially," Bruce says and Shuri smiles teasingly, "Why didn't you just reprogram the synapses to work collectively?"

Vision glances over in curiosity, the rest of us do as well. Given that half of them don't know what that means, I smirk knowing Bruce's upcoming response.

His cheeks go red as he clears his throat.

"Um...because we didn't think of it..."

"I'm sure you did your best." Shuri's proud grin is cocky but I only smirk with a slight snort at the interaction.

"Damn Banner, we should fire you and take her on instead."

The doctor shoots annoyed daggers my way, making me step back with my arms raised in surrender, smiling at Wanda gently as she watches the scene, eyes trained on Vision with worry.

Placing a calming hand on her arm, I offer a slight squeeze to reassure her of my presence and my hope that this will work out.

"Can you do it?" Wanda asks, speaking for the first time all morning.

Shuri glances in her direction, then looks up at me. I feel a wave of unease fill me at the knowing look.

"Yes. But there are more than two trillion neurons here. One misalignment could cause a cascade of circuit failures. It'll take time, rather."

"How long?" Steve asks to which Shuri responds with "As long as you can give me."

An alarm rings through the room. I turn to Okoye and notice her concerned looks as she opens a map, looking at her technology wide a warrior's stare.

"Something has entered the atmosphere."

In comms I can hear Sam coming through.

"Hey Cap, we got a situation here."

I hear a crash and run to the window, seeing an explosion hitting a protective dome over Wakanda.

My head starts to ache and I groan, knees buckling as I fall with the pain.

"Y/N?!" Natasha runs over to catch me but I wave her off, "I'm fine. Just pain...I um...they're here."

"God I love this place," Bucky mumbles over comms but I see more incoming through the window. I sigh and touch my earpiece.

"Yeah, don't start celebrating yet, old man. We got more incoming," I announce and Rhodey shouts through, "outside the dome!"

Tons of ships crash down outside the dome, the waves of impact throwing trees against it. Wanda comes over and helps me up, staring outside in a mixture of awe and terror.

"There's so many."

"It's too late," Vision pipes up from behind us.

"We need to destroy the stone now."

Nat glances at me and huffs, "Vision get your ass back on the table."

She marches over and shoves his body down, begging Shuri to start working. I watch as she walks towards the exit, not wanting to look at me so I duck my head down and sigh in frustration. Nat is going to push this off for as long as she can.

"We will hold them off," King T'Challa says and Steve approaches Wanda.

"Wanda, as soon as that stone's out of his head..." His eyes land on me but he looks back in an instant at my girlfriend. Swallowing his fears he nods.