𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡

Forty-Fourth
:Chapter Forty-Four:

Jeongguk was first to pull away, opening his eyes just in time to see Taehyung lean in for more but when he was met with nothing, eyes soon fluttering open as well.

The elder lightly shook his head and looked away, feeling the build up of anger and anguish. He felt stupid.

"We can't keep doing this." Taehyung spoke, not letting the silence drown them. "I-I mean, I have a girlfriend. We have reputations. This isn't something we can do." He added, feeling the same regret he did the first time he kissed Jeongguk. "I think you should leave."

Jeongguk felt a bit surprised to say the least but he pulled fully back, giving the elder his space. "I don't want to leave though, Taehyung." He told, his voice holding ground.

"Why?" Asked the other, his cheeks bright red and he looked mildly uncomfortable. "Wouldn't it be best if you just left?"

"Why do you run away from your issues?" The younger asked. "What does me leaving actually solve? It'll just be your avoiding me again."

"I'm not running away, I'm trying to kick you out." Taehyung disregarded the rest of what the former pitcher said.

"Same shit." Jeongguk sighed, running his hands through his hair and trying to prevent his attitude from showing through. He felt like he was always the one doing something wrong to Taehyung when it was just them. "But I'm not going to stand up and leave when there's clear regret and tension, Taehyung."

The aforementioned groaned, shaking his head. "There's really no reason for you to be here, you can just go home." Taehyung tried to get him to leave but in reality, it made his heart thump that Jeongguk told him no.

     "No, Kim, I'm staying right here until I actually have to leave." Jeongguk told him. "Let's not forget that out of the three times we kissed, you initiated it."

"I know," Taehyung whined.

"Do you actually regret it?" Wondered Jeongguk, brows furrowed a bit, a small frown lingering on his lips. He wasn't sure if he should be irritated or disappointed.

Taehyung saw his saddened looked and huffed in defeat. "I mean, no but yes. I think you know that I have a girlfriend and I don't want to cheat on her. I can't break her heart." He pulled his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them, resting his chin on his arms.

     "That only sounds like you regret it." Jeongguk pointed out, feeling embarrassed to say the least. He felt like he wasted his time and that he looked utterly stupid.

Taehyung shook his head. "No, Jeon, I don't regret it though. It felt right, I like the feeling of kissing you." He admitted. "Something about you having your hands on my cheeks and holding me there, it just felt all nice."

Jeongguk internally felt his heart flutter, the butterflies swirl around in his stomach and up to his chest. At least he wasn't the only one who enjoyed the kisses.

Then Taehyung dropped the cursed word which killed every flying insect in his tummy.

"But we really shouldn't be doing this. For many, many reasons, Jeongguk." Taehyung crushed, looking serious. "As good as it feels for us, it's not right. Fuck, dude, we're supposed to be enemies, not secretly making out." He said it as it was, not wanting to sugarcoat anything he said.

Jeongguk nodded. "I understand," he replied, forcing a tight smile to Taehyung who's frown only worsened when he was showed the smile. The elder felt like he could see right through the taut lips but chose against it. Taehyung winced silently at how forced and fake it appeared.