Chapter 2

Prarthana's POV:

Prarthana's POV:

We reached Karkala around afternoon thanks to the traffic. On the way my father was telling me that my grandparents have found a suitable match and I must not scare the guy away instead my dad would politely handle the matter. Rolling my eyes I was already planning how to make the guy run kms away from me as it's not my first attempt. I have scared many guys away. With multiple tricks. Some I behaved like I was squint eyed, with some I behaved like I was a drunkard, the latest I tried was I get possessed every full moon night and the boy literally ran away. But then I believe now my grandparents know I shoo away guys this time they will probably be stricter. I need to find a better trick!

Thinking about all wierd plans we stepped out of the car at my uncle's place only to be shocked as there was complete chaos at home. My (Mhava) aunty and (Mhantu) uncle were nowhere to be seen. It was suddenly tense atmosphere. We noticed some of my aunt's and some close family friends discussing in the corner of the house. My grandparents were also missing. I wonder where they are.

Soon I saw Sanskar come out of my uncle's room saying my grandparents want to meet my parents. I was confused as even Sanskar looked too tensed. My parents went inside and I looked at Sanskar asking 'what happened' to which all he did was hug me and start crying. I was getting scared now.

'Akka ran away!!!' he said and my heart sank to its lowest.

'What did you say? Sanskriti ran away?' I asked and he nodded his head.

I wanted to know what and when but I had to console Sanskar. He is mere a 12th std boy. I consoled him and he cried on my shoulders. I waited for my parents and grandparents but no one came out. After approximately 2 hours my mother came out asking me to join them inside.

I nodded and went in and saw both my Mhantu and Mhava were broken and my grandfather and my father were still discussing something.

I did not understand what was happening here and suddenly my grandfather said standing up...

'Enough Devu...there is no other go and Nayak's are a reputed family. We never expected Sanskriti to do this. I mean I have seen people running away because they are in love but this is crazy' saying he threw the letter.

I picked it up and began reading

I am sorry I have always listened to you all. But marriage is not my cup of tea. My application is accepted in the foreign University I applied and they are ok to give me a part time job and full freedom to research on my papers.

I thought you folks would understand but no... marriage means end to my dreams like mom or Paro Pacchi (father's younger brother's wife - aunt). Hence I'm taking this call. I'm leaving to Hungary. I'm sorry.

Yours
Sanskriti

And I was shocked. While I was still in the state of shock my grandmother said...

'Dress Pattu up Parvathi...Now Prarthana will replace Sanskriti'

And I was shocked.

'No Ways ..I'm not doing anything like that Bapama (grandma)' I flinched at that very thought.

'You don't have a choice here young lady. We are Pai. We don't take back our given word and our family's respect is beyond everything. You are marrying the boy. He is a good man. He will keep you happy' she said and I looked at my parents who were numb and quiet.

'Amma Ana... what nonsense is she saying...this is marriage not a scrabble game. That you replace Sanskriti with Prarthana. I can't marry a random stranger' I said and looked at my parents who stood silent there.

Cheaters!!!

Few minutes ago my father who behaved like a brave warrior was now a shy kitten. Why is he not speaking up.

'Deva...say something...you promised didn't you...stop Ajjo (Grandpa) and Bapama. Please' but my dad was speechless

'Paro... tell him na... what nonsense is this' I yelled while my dad sat down and began complaining of uneasiness in breathing.

Shit!!! His Asthama...

I ran outside and got his pump from his bag and gave it. He was ok after sometime.

Breathing uneasy and shedding tears he looked at me saying..
'Its the family's prestige at stake Pattu.
Please say yes...Shivansh is a good man...I have heard enough about him. Please Pattu' my dad said holding my hands and  I can do anything but deny those eyes. Closing my eyes tightly I said..

'I want to meet him'

'Surely you can meet him at the engagement today evening. I have already spoken to Meera akka... Shivansh's grandmother and she agreed to it.' said my grandfather is his commanding tone.

'But I won't na Ajjo..
I don't even know him for god's sake' I retorted

'None of us knew our partners. Aren't we happy?' he asked and I was mentally itching to say 'If domination is happiness then I'm happy I'm single'

My dad began feeling dizzy and I started panicking. I was fearing his health. I usually don't bend so easily so as of now I said yes but stood my brains already began churning on how to make him run away from the wedding alter.

I was made to dress up in Sanskriti's lehenga I was feeling bad for Sanskriti and myself both.