Chapter 25 - This One Time in the Rockies

Start from the beginning

He pointed at the south end of the building. "We can tunnel in there and take them all in a straight line. Moving fast, we can get it done in ten minutes. They have about ten teams of three patrolling. Once things go south, we are going to have a lot of warbots on our trail."

Rey nodded in agreement; his face was grim. "That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the heads up." He looked around at the assembled team. "I don't look forward to being compromised, but if that's enough info for everyone, let's go."

The team left the cover of the tree line and slowly marched down the hill. It was a dark night, but Gabriel could see well enough with his sensors. The landscape around them was lush, and animal trails snaked around them. Gabe took note of the stars and temperature; he guessed they were somewhere in the Rockies.

Mystery raised her wand as they neared the bottom of the hill, and an opening formed in the ground with the rustle of a thousand pine needles. Gabe activated his suit's exterior lights once they were inside, and they began their trek deeper into the earth. He calculated their position underground relative to the complex.

Rey sighed. "It's not as spooky the second time around. I almost feel... safe."

Crocodile grumbled. "Hell of a lot safer down here than it is up there. You scared Captain Purple?"

Mystery bristled at the verbal jab, but Rey kept his cool. "Very funny, Crocodile."

They walked a minute more when Gabriel stopped and said. "Here."

"Right here?" Mystery asked, pointing at the ceiling of the tunnel.

"No, there." Gabriel corrected, indicating a spot a couple of feet to the side of where Mystery pointed.

"Alright, I'm ready when you are, Captain." She said, looking at Rey.

Rey crossed his arms and thought for a moment before saying, "Gabriel do you have access to the camera feeds?"

"Of course."

"Good, make sure the coast is clear for us to surface. Do you have the patrol routes?"

Gabe nodded. "I do, but they change every two minutes. The only way I could keep track of them would be to monitor them manually."

Rey shook his head. "Not necessary." He extended his hand towards Mystery in the same sign he had made on their previous mission - she plugged her ears.

"I SENSE THEIR ROUTES." He shook his head as if to clear it. "Two more rules, you guys, FYI."

Crocodile snickered. "Still out of gas at three rules, Rey? That's exactly why I would never pick you for my squads in the academy."

Rey glanced at the reptile coldly. "We aren't in the academy anymore, Crocodile. Adapt or fall behind."

Crocodile snapped his jaws in response.

Rey moved over to Gabe and asked to see the building plans. He stood in thought for a moment.

"Okay, team, this is what we are going to do. If any patrols get close to an intersection, I'll raise my hand, and we all duck into a side room.

Gabe, we won't know which rooms are unoccupied, so I'll need you to find a good hiding place for us each time. I will give you a fifteen-second warning, I'm sorry, but that's the best I can do."

Gabriel inclined his head. "That's plenty, don't worry about it."

Rey smiled. "Great. When we get in there, I want Crocodile in front, Mystery and myself will follow with Gabe in the back. I know you're on Offense, Gabe, but until we're compromised, I'd like you to watch our backs. Don't want to get shot in the spine. Gabriel, before we go in, can you describe the support pillars we need to destroy?"