CHAPTER 2: Just For A Night

Start from the beginning

"Happen this early?", I interrupted him. "It's okay if you are busy. We can wait for a few more months."

He sighed. "No. What I mean is--"

"I get it. We both don't have enough money for all the preparations. It's still okay. I don't want a lavish wedding or hundreds of guests."

The waiter chose that moment to return with our coffees and placing it down, he went away.

Dave's jaw clenched. "Harper. We can't get married. Not now. Not even in the future. We just can't."

My voice dropped to a low volume. "Why?"

His eyes refused to meet mine. "I think we should break this engagement and whatever we had between us."

My mouth slightly parted. "W-what?"

"I...I am breaking things off. It's over between us."

I leaned closer, eyes widened and jaw dropped. "We are engaged, Dave. You proposed to me. Now what happened?"

He didn't answer as he lowered his gaze.

I realised something. "Did you find someone else to replace me?"

His fists clenched and he didn't answer.

My voice cracked. "Y-you found someone else, didn't you?"

He lifted his head. "I can explain."

"Explain what? How long has this been going now?"

He rubbed his beard. "A month?"

Tears welled up in my eyes. "You were lying to me all this time. You are a cheater. I thought you loved me. Hell! I even loved you back."

"I did love you, Harper but things changed--"

"Someone else came in to your life and you realised you don't love me anymore?"

He tapped his forehead with his index finger. "Kind of."

I slammed my fist on the table. "Unbelievable."

"I am sorry", he whispered.

I let out a humorless chuckle. "Sorry? You think it will change the fact that you cheated on me?"

A tear rolled down my eyes. "I loved you. But at this moment, I don't feel anything but hatred for you." I wiped away the tear with the back of my palm.

He genuinely looked guilty but I was not buying it.

"Who's the lucky girl by the way?", I asked sarcastically.

When he didn't reply, I repeated my question. "Who's she?!"

"She joined our office a month and a half back. I met her then."

I snorted and got up and furiously removed the ring from my finger and threw it at him. "I hope you both will have an amazing future together."

When I turned and made my way for the door, he called out for me but ignoring him, I ran out of the door hastily wiping away the tears falling down my eyes.

.
.
.

I was done crying. I won't cry for that fucker.

I am glad I got to know his real face, all this time I was thinking he loved me and I loved him back. But that's it. Not anymore.

I picked out one of the best dress from my closet, I didn't get the chance to wear it. It had a deep plunging neck, it reached till my mid thighs, silver in colour with sparkles all over it.