Chapter One

"Sometimes words are better left unsaid
other times, those unspoken words
could have made a difference."

~~~~~~

"Y/n, I miss you," Xiao murmured, his eyes gazing at the sky. "How long has it been since I had last seen your beautiful face or heard your melodic voice?"

Xiao looked down longingly at the familiar mountains that you had once looked at many years ago - more than 1,000 years ago to be exact. He sat at the same exact place that you had sat on the cliff that the two of you would always go to together. All he could think about was how much he missed you and how he would do whatever it took to see you again. Alas, time cannot be turned back and this was something that he would have to suffer as punishment for his regrets.

After the Archon War had ended, Xiao had found himself in an infirmary being treated by healers that had worked under you. It was a solemn and quiet place, as if the light that had once filled the area had been sucked dry.

Soon after his awakening, he was greeted by a saddened Rex Lapis. Immediately after seeing the face of the archon, Xiao had a feeling deep in his heart that something horrible had happened. And unfortunately, his gut feeling was correct.

After a while, the geo archon had told Xiao the situation and everything that had happened when he was unconscious.

He told the young adeptus that you were dead and hearing that news, all Xiao could do was freeze and listen to all Zhongli had to say.

Xiao was supposed to had died from a fatal wound that he had gotten on the battlefield but through an ancient technique, you had revived him by giving up your own life force to save his. Because of that, instead of Xiao dying, you had taken his place and died in his stead.

Coming back to his senses, Xiao looked for the charm you had given him in his pocket and all that was left was the residue of dust. The charm that you had given Xiao had been your life force that saved Xiao when he was killed.

The knowledge of what you had done for him - especially giving up your own life for his - had nearly broken his mind and because of that, he was left in perpetual darkness. The only thing that had kept him chained to the world was the fact that you had given up your life to save his. He could never throw away his life after all that you had done to save him.

It was then and only then that he realized just how much you had meant to him. It was the time that he realized just how much he had loved you.

Ever since that day, he routinely went to the cliff to remember you and reinstate his love for you. Even if he were to forget everything else about his life, he swore that he would never forget how much you meant to him.

"Why y/n," Xiao whispered to himself. "I never deserved you. I love you y/n. If only I wasn't so dumb and clueless back then. Maybe then, maybe you would still be alive. Maybe I would still be able to see your beautiful smile."

Xiao felt a tear fall on his cheek as he remembered all the times that you had shown him how much he meant to you. All those times that you had stayed by his side when he felt his darkness overpower him. You had stayed with him in everything and in the end, all he ever did was push you away and hurt you.

"I'm sorry y/n."

Xiao continued to stare at the distance for a while, wondering if you were watching him and still loved him. He wondered if you were out in the world loving someone else that treated you better. All he hoped was that you were genuinely happy. That was his only wish.

"-ao. Xiao!" A high pitched voice brought the adeptus back to reality.

"What do you want?" Xiao grumbled as he glared at the flying pixie that was calling out his name.

The flying pixie quickly hid behind her companion in fear as he sighed. That was none other than Paimon, the traveling companion, guide, and emergency food of a traveler that was given the title of Mondstat's Honorary Knight. That traveler was named Aether, a boy with a goal to search for his missing twin sister Lumine.

"Are you alright Xiao?" Aether asked, his voice laced with worry for the sorrowful looking adeptus.

In all the time that Aether had come to know Xiao, he had never seen a spark of emotion on his face. So, after seeing how sad Xiao had looked for the first time, the traveler couldn't help but worry for the adeptus that refused to befriend him.

"Like I said earlier," Xiao grumbled again, the sorrow that had once filled his face disappearing and hiding behind his usual emotionless facade. "What do you want?"

"Zhongli asked us to look for you here," Aether confessed. "He looked really worried about you."

"I don't need any of your concern," Xiao growled before turning away and disappearing, leaving nothing where he stood.

"How rude!" Paimon exclaimed. "The least that he could do is thank us for all the effort that we had put into searching for him at the request of Zhongli."

"Who knows," Aether shrugged as he looked at the view that Xiao had stared at earlier. "Maybe it might just be better to leave him alone. Let's just go back to Liyue and tell Zhongli what happened."

"Sure," Paimon agreed as her stomach gave a loud growl. "Lets also go get some food at Wanmin restaurant."

Aether laughed as the two headed back to Liyue.

~~~~~

Xiao watched as the two companions had left the cliff. He didn't want to be bothered today of all days yet Zhongli - who was also Rex Lapis, the geo archon - had sent them here most likely knowing that he had been thinking of you.

After all, today was you birthday. It was always the day that Xiao would forget about his duties as an adeptus and would simply sit at the foot of the cliff reminiscing all the times that you had together.

Clenching his fist in frustration from being interrupted in his one time of silence, Xiao turned and walked away.