part 12

you enter the room to see your moms both lying in the bed.
YN: what happened?
Maya: so when we told you we were trying we did the first injection 4 weeks ago. and earlier today mama was given a cookie from a pregnant patient who just gave birth. she had some kind of reaction so they did blood work. they were unsure what the substance in the cookies but the test came back as pregnant.
YN: I'M GETTING A SIBLING?!!!
Maya: mama is pregnant, but we are waiting to tell people
Yn: ok but I am so excited
Carina: can you stop yelling my head is pounding
Yn: sorry
carina smiles at you and pats on the edge of the bed for you to go lay with them.
you all fall asleep. but are awoken by someone knocking on the door. when no one responds they enter.
Andrew: quello che è successo?  perché lo sto scoprendo? [what happened? why am I just finding out]
Maya: I tried to call you but you were in surgery
Andrew calms down when he looks over at carina realizing she is just asleep.
Andrew: do you know what happened
Maya: not yet we are just waiting for the doctor
Andrew nods and goes to sit in the chair next to the bed
April: so we know what happened. can you wake her up?
Maya wakes her up and you all sit to hear what happened
April: carina you had an allergic reaction to something in the cookies. we would like to do an allergy test so you can avoid the food next time.
you all nod so relieved it was an only allergic reaction and not something worse. they take carina to another room to do the allergy test. you take out your homework and start to get it done so you don't have to do it later. you have forgotten to do it so many times that if you do it again you have after-school detention.
after an hour they bring carina back into her room. April comes in right after her.
April: so carina you are allergic to tree nuts the cookies had pistachios in them so that was what you had a reaction to.
Carina: that is all, am I hood to go
April: yeah let me go get the discharge papers
she came back signed the papers and you left to go home.
yn: when andy told me you were in the hospital I was so scared.
Carina: I am fine so let's go home
you all head home, you get in and carina goes to sit on the couch and Maya goes to make "burn" dinner. you head up to your room in hopes of avoiding dinner.
when Maya comes up to get you for dinner you fake sleep hoping she will just leave you.
Maya: it's time for dinner and you have to eat
yn: no thanks
Maya: what have you eaten today?
yn: um.....
Maya: see you have to eat, you need food.
you nod your head and put it back into the pillow so Maya can see you crying. it didn't work and she picks you up off the bed and places you on her lap. you try to wiggle out but she is holding you so tight that you cant.
yn: LET ME GO!!
Maya: no, I'm not gonna let you go through what I did
you look up at her confused she never talked about her childhood but you always just thought it was her just wanting it to be private.
YN: what do you mean?
Maya: my dad was abusive, I was a runner I was on the track team all through middle and high school then went on to win gold in the Olympics.
Maya takes a deep breath then continues.
Maya: after every race or practice that I didn't get first or beat my time he would make me walk home, he wouldn't let me eat. so after a year of that, I learned to only eat at school not to disappoint my dad. after only eating at school I ended up only eating 5 days a week and I kept going lower. only having energy drinks and water every day. after that went on for 6 months I ended up in the hospital after fainting in gym class. I stayed the night in the hospital and told me I was malnourished and needed to eat more. so I did but it was only once a day. enough to keep my energy up for track but not too much to slow me down or disappoint him. that continued toll after I won the Olympics and into the fire academy after I was assigned to station 19 I started eating more and taking care of myself. and I got so much better when I met your mother. she changed me for the better and my father's opinions don't matter to me.
yn: I'm sorry
you say the both of you are sat there and carina is standing at the doorway silently crying. she walks over and hugs you both
carina: I didn't know about that
Maya: I didn't want to scare you off
carina: well I'm sorry you are stuck with me
carina leans and kisses Maya.
yn: ew go do that somewhere else
Maya: maybe we will then
Maya goes and picks carina up and out of your room.
20 minutes later you are walking into the kitchen and you hear noises coming from your mom's room.  at first unsure what they are but you soon realize and run up into your bedroom.
Yn: really, can't they be any quieter